Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 20-03-19, 14:48
Administrator

Yes, it's gone back to the old list for me too. Maybe they released it by accident! I wish I'd looked at more of them while I had the chance instead of going out shopping.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-03-19, 14:52
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Yes, it's gone back to the old list for me too. Maybe they released it by accident! I wish I'd looked at more of them while I had the chance instead of going out shopping.
How does it work though, it confused me.
Old 20-03-19, 15:48
Administrator

I haven't seen anything official about it, Maggie, but my guess is that whereas the list of shared matches with, say "Mr X", usually only shows people who are 4th-6th cousins or closer to both of you, it was temporarily also including people who were 4th-6th cousins or closer to you, but more distantly related to "Mr X".

I did send in some feedback while it was doing that. I suggested that it should either flag those which were only distantly related to the other person, or sort them in descending order of amount of DNA shared with the other person, though I wouldn't want it to actually show the specific amounts. But just so we would get an idea of roughly how closely they were related to the other person.

Old 20-03-19, 18:13
maggie_4_7

Quote:
I haven't seen anything official about it, Maggie, but my guess is that whereas the list of shared matches with, say "Mr X", usually only shows people who are 4th-6th cousins or closer to both of you, it was temporarily also including people who were 4th-6th cousins or closer to you, but more distantly related to "Mr X".

I did send in some feedback while it was doing that. I suggested that it should either flag those which were only distantly related to the other person, or sort them in descending order of amount of DNA shared with the other person, though I wouldn't want it to actually show the specific amounts. But just so we would get an idea of roughly how closely they were related to the other person.
Ahh okay thank you, it confused me.
Old 21-03-19, 06:36
maggie_4_7

The shared matches list is temporarily unavailable for me so perhaps they are working on it.
Old 21-03-19, 09:42
Administrator

I saw a copy of a post from an ancestry staff member who confirmed it was including more distant matches to the other person and they said it was done by mistake and that's why it was changed back to how it was before. I quite liked it myself! Though it wouldn't be so useful if we didn't have the other list to compare it to.

Old 21-03-19, 10:58
maggie_4_7

Quote:
I saw a copy of a post from an ancestry staff member who confirmed it was including more distant matches to the other person and they said it was done by mistake and that's why it was changed back to how it was before. I quite liked it myself! Though it wouldn't be so useful if we didn't have the other list to compare it to.
Oh that's a shame, why change it back if it works.
Old 21-03-19, 11:14

Quote:
Send in feedback and comment on the post that you like the change. It seems they are listening to feedback.
Old 21-03-19, 12:28
Administrator

I already submitted feedback before they changed it back, Toni.