Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-11-20, 13:45

Default Birth Indexes

I have located a birth on the England Birth Indexes 1835 to 2005 which would appear to be the one I am looking for. However only the name of the birth person is given. Can anyone tell me how I can view the original so that I can see the names of the parents. Most of my research up here is done on Scotlands People which gives us access to all that information and more. I should say that the birth is in 1875.
Old 16-11-20, 13:53
Administrator

You need to visit the GRO site to purchase a copy of the certificate

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

(or, depending on where the birth took place, you may be able to use a local register office << see below). If you look at the GRO indexes on the same site the entry should give you the mother's maiden surname, which isn't available on most other sites before Q3 of 1911.

If you would prefer to use a local register office (one less step for a mis-transcription to happen and you may be able to access the signature of the person who registered the birth), let us know the district of the event and we may be able to point you in the right direction.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-11-20, 13:57
Administrator

Depending on what you already know, discovering the mmn may help you to be sure you are homing in on the right entry!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-11-20, 09:27

Thanks for that Merry. I did realise that I could purchase a certificate but I am reluctant to do so until I am sure I am looking at the right person who is Alexander Duncan White and who is shown born in January 1875 in Ulverston, Lancashire. If you could let me know how to contact the local register office I will gladly do so. I am not sure what you mean when you say to look at the indexes on the same site. Am I missing something there which would help because I do know the mothers maiden name.
Old 18-11-20, 09:41
Administrator

The website for the local register office is this one:

http://www.cumbriabmd.org.uk/

You can search on there and click through to order a copy of the birth certificate, and the price is £11, the same as the GRO, but you could order a PDF copy from the GRO for only £7 which Cumbria BMD don't do.

The mother's maiden name is shown as Duncan. You wouldn't get any more information than that without ordering a copy of the certificate.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-11-20, 09:41

WHITE, ALEXANDER DUNCAN mother's maiden name DUNCAN
GRO Reference: 1875 M Quarter in ULVERSTON Volume 08E Page 768

You can buy a PDF from the GRO for £7.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...xes_search.asp
Old 18-11-20, 10:06
Administrator

On the GRO site (the entry Elizabeth has posted) the mmn is not shown if the child is illegitimate. SO in this case the maiden surname of the mother is the same as the father's surname. (as it looks like you already know!)

Old 18-11-20, 10:18

Wow that was quick. Thank you all very much for your help, I think I'm on the right track now because the mother's maiden name is in fact Duncan. It would appear we are quite lucky up here with the Scotlands People website because both parents names are given on the initial search site. (That does NOT mean I will be voting for independence). So once again thank you all for your help.
Old 18-11-20, 11:26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
On the GRO site (the entry Elizabeth has posted) the mmn is not shown if the child is illegitimate. SO in this case the maiden surname of the mother is the same as the father's surname. (as it looks like you already know!)
Merry - the child's surname is White and the MMN is Duncan.

Old 18-11-20, 11:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moir View Post
Wow that was quick. Thank you all very much for your help, I think I'm on the right track now because the mother's maiden name is in fact Duncan. It would appear we are quite lucky up here with the Scotlands People website because both parents names are given on the initial search site. (That does NOT mean I will be voting for independence). So once again thank you all for your help.
I don't think that is actually the case, Moir - on Scotland's People, the birth search doesn't show parents' names at all, nor does it let you search using parents' names. You only get to see them when you pay to view a birth cert. And as far as I know, the old printed Scottish birth indexes (which may or may not show MMN) are not available to search or view anywhere online. Perhaps you are thinking of the deaths search (which lets you search using MMN, although it isn't always available), or the baptism search, which doesn't let you search by parents' names but does at least show them on the results list. (Also, the baptism search on there only goes up to the start of civil registration.)