Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 18-11-11, 13:24

Default Petronel Adams

Probably known as Peternell.

Baptised 7 July 1761 at Malborough, Devon, the daughter of Nicholas Adams & Joan nee Adams (every single one of her grandparents bore the surname Adams)

Married John Edwards 16 October 1781 at South Huish Devon

Died 11 November 1820 and has the following monumental inscription in East Portlemouth churchyard: SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF PETERNELL WIDOW OF JOHN EDWARDS LATE OF HIGH HOUSE IN THIS PARISH WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 11TH DAY OF NOVEMBER 1820 AGED 59 YEARS.

However, there is no trace of her burial in the parish register (nor of that of John Edwards) and I do wonder whether profligacy on his part had driven them out of the village. As yet I have no idea as to where she (and he!) are buried.

The Adams family (not sure which of the four lines!) was patently more important than the Edwards and most of her children had Adams as a second christian name except my ancestor

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...=adams+edwards
Old 28-11-11, 17:41

Extract from the will of William Adams of Maryknowle, Malborough, Devon made 13 September 1817: “I give an bequeath unto my Nephew Nicholas Adams who resides with me at Maryknowle one clear annuity yearly rent or sum of ten pounds of like lawful money In trust nevertheless for and to be by him his heirs executors or adm.rs payable and paid unto my sister Peternal Edwards and her assigns for and during the term of her natural life and for which her receipt alone shall be a full acquittance and discharge from time to time during and notwithstanding her present or any future couverture it being my express will that the same shall be for her own private and particular use and benefit and not subject to the control interference debts or forfeitures of and apart from her present or any after taken husband who shall have nothing to do therewith”
Old 23-07-14, 20:24

NB I have today seen her gravestone, in pride of place in the church yard. I have cherished this ambition for some thirty years, after kind friends gave me some photos, but I never thought to achieve it!
Old 23-07-14, 21:22

So very pleased for you, Phoenix.
Old 23-07-14, 22:51

I thought it would be a good day, seeing the landscape from the sea. And it was. Maps are excellent things, but they don't entirely convey the vegetation and all the upflung rocks. But when the captain said that there was a ferry across the estuary and I had a map showing the footpath, then I took the chance.

Three passengers missed the boat home - nervous of such a fate, I didn't spend as long as I might have done, but it was amazing just to be there.

Tags
to4g16