Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 27-08-10, 17:57

Default John Cleveley (or Cleeveley or Clevely or Cleevely)

OH's MFMF

I thought I had the right details for him, but as I went to check I found another John Cle(e)v(e)l(e)y [I wish people would stick to one spelling!!!] born around the same time in Charlton Kings!
I'll stick with my original one as I'm sure there's more right than wrong with his details!

Name - "official" name and what they were known as - John Cleveley or Cleevely/Clevely/Cleeveley
Date and place of birth - 1835, Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire
Names of parents - Robert and Louisa Cleveley (nee unknown)
Date and place of baptism - 6 October 1839, Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire
Details of each of his or her marriages - 15 April 1860 at Charlton Kings, Glos. to Elizabeth Matilda Morgan.

Occupation(s) - Locksmith & bellhanger (1861), Blacksmith (1871 & 1881), Whitesmith (1901)

Addresses where they lived -
1841 - Buckles Row, Charlton Kings, Glos
1851 - Buckles Row, Charlton Kings, Glos
1861 - Ham Cottage, Charlton Kings, Glos.
1871 - Horsefair St, Charlton Kings, Glos.
1881 - 8 Rose Cottages, Hambrook Street, Charlton Kings, Glos
1891 - Vine Cottage, Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire
1901 - 6 Malvern View Villas, Gloucester Road, Cheltenham.

Date, place and cause of death - unknown, but probably not the one listed Dec qtr 1908, Stow on the Wold, Glos. Cause unknown.
Date and place of burial / cremation. -unknown
Details of will / administration of their estate - unknown, although there is a listing on the Probate Index, but I think that's the other John Cleveley.
Memorial inscription - unknown

Sue at Langley Vale

Last edited by Langley Vale Sue; 16-01-11 at 08:45. Reason: adding 1891 census details
Old 27-08-10, 19:05

John Cleeveley (or variants) seems to have been born in 1839 from most of the censuses.

His wife was Elizabeth Matilda, as you said, and I found a death for Elizabeth M Cleveley in Sep qr 1892 Cheltenham aged 57.

John remarried in Dec qr 1893 in Cheltenham to ELIZA HARMER and the entry you found for him in 1901 seems correct as he is with Eliza there.

I think I found John in 1891 but they have given his wife wrongly as Maria. The occupation of Smith ties up. They have with them a son John aged 20 who is a Stone Mason. His DOB is the same as the John in other censuses. He was 8 months old in 1871.

Eliza is found on the 1911 census with a grandson - probably from her first marriage??
Old 27-08-10, 19:10

A possible death:

Sep 1904 Gloucester aged 63 (age 2 years out)

Eliza was in Gloucester in 1911
Old 27-08-10, 21:15

Thanks for all that Elizabeth.

I saw that death for Elizabeth M, but discounted it as I thought I'd found Elizabeth as a widow in 1901. Looking again, I think I'm wrong. I'll have to send off for that death certificate, but it's about 6th or 7th on my list, so it will have to wait a bit unfortunately.

Maybe the will I found is for the correct John. This one was an Innkeeper and died 7 November 1908 at Stow-on-the-Wold and probate was granted in Jan 1909 to Eliza Cleveley, widow. Then, strangely, on 19 May 1919 administration (with will) was granted to Albert Edward William Cleveley. Then it says 'former grant 1909'. 'My' John had a son Albert Edward so maybe it is correct.

I cannot find Eliza in 1911 though. Update: have found her listed as Cleaveley! Yet another spelling variation.

Sue at Langley Vale

Last edited by Langley Vale Sue; 27-08-10 at 21:52.

Tags
to2g24