Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 26-03-14, 12:41

I once shared a tribal pages tree with a very distant relative only to find that all my family photos had been copied to a public ancestry tree. I don't mind photos of gravestones and the like which I think are public property but I think wedding photos should be private. By the time I had spotted it the photos had been copied to several other trees and it was too late to do anything.

I have distant ancestors who were Cliffords and the Clifford association avidly collects descendants. It is run by the present Lord Clifford. I am not sure how I feel about this. I suppose if one was entitled to be in Burke's peerage or something one would be honoured. It seems a bit petty not to be on the family tree, indeed I found I was on it before I started doing my own research but I don't want to add thousands of names myself.
Old 27-03-14, 10:11
Joy Dean

Thank you, Asa, for motivating me to look at GR - where I found my name was in four people's trees! I have asked GR to remove me from those people's trees.
Old 28-03-14, 12:09

They say they've acted but names still appear so am waiting to hear how long they will still be there for :/
Old 28-03-14, 23:21

Asa, do you think the old data might be resident on your computer? If your browser is pulling in a cached copy, you might need to clear your browser cache and then access the page again.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 29-03-14, 10:09

Thanks Janet but I've accessed search after deleting cookies and also from my iphone - names still there
Old 29-03-14, 10:44

Sorry that didn't help, Asa. My only other doubt then would be whether you've been granted any special access to that tree. I was horrified to find myself and living cousins on another cousin's tree until I realized that I was only seeing the living ones because I had been made a contributor. If I logged out and looked again, the living ones weren't visible. (That, of course, begs the question of how many others unknown to me have been made contributors to the same tree and can see all my data just as well as I can. )

Janet (Niagara)
Old 29-03-14, 11:36
Administrator

I've given up trying to keep my name off GR. Between me, OH and my children we have about 50 GR entries and appear in various other online trees. I'm also bothered by all the people who have the wrong birth father for OH despite many requests to correct or delete us altogether.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-03-14, 15:25

It's really horrible, Merry. I've contacted Tribal Pages in the hope of getting the info off the tree on there . We'll see.

Janet, I don't have a tree on GR I only came across the names looking to see if my half sister had registered since I last looked. I know exactly where the info has come from because of what info is there.
Old 29-03-14, 16:29

I am on GR because I gave the info to someone I assumed a close relation. (They weren't)

GR did delete the info, but when the individual uploads the tree again , back comes all the info. It now seems easier to dripfeed a little counter information, just to muddy the waters.
Old 29-03-14, 17:49

I appear to be on 4 trees on GR, (had difficulty logging in as I haven't use the site for years) 3 of them have an incorrect birthplace which I know came from a tree put on by a young relative without my permission, the fourth is correct but as I'm no longer a member I can't contact the tree owner.

I've just emailed GR asking to be removed from this person's tree.