Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 27-03-14, 11:00

Default Loving Settlement Exams!

Ancestry updated their indexed London Poor Law Records last week
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2651 and I've found a lot of significant, new information.

In the Examination of my 2x gt grandmother, Mary Jones, she gave a clear indication of where and when her husband James died so that I can at long last get a death certificate for him (well, I've narrowed it down to two instead of twenty two)

The person I thought was the husband of another 2x gt grandfather's sister was in fact married to his mother, my 3x gt grandmother, as evidenced by his Settlement exam naming his wife's two children by a previous marriage. Which has led to me finding a probable death for her, to be confirmed of course!

And my 4x gt Grandmother, Esther Sharpe, gave evidence in respect of the "grandaughter of her sister" which has brought me closer to confirming that Esther's parentage was what I had suspected but wasn't certain.

There are also several other minor revelations which I'm sure weren't there before.

I'm now looking forward to the next update
Old 27-03-14, 11:10
Administrator

I helped to index these as part of the World Archives Project; glad to know they are coming in useful. It is taking a long time to get through them though, and we only seem to have scratched the surface. We are working on Shoreditch at the moment.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-03-14, 11:15

I did some of the indexing too, Kate but gave up when the "rules" became so contradictory I didn't know whether I was just wasting my time!

Perhaps I ought to have another go.
Old 27-03-14, 14:43

Thank you for pointing this out, Sue, I'd missed it.

Found my 2xg-grandmother, husband (unnamed) absent for 5 weeks. I knew, from family stories, that they had split up but this helps to narrow it down.
Old 28-03-14, 12:10

I'm finding some wonderful details but no real leads yet. Really enjoying them
Old 28-03-14, 15:35

Glad that you're both enjoying them as much me!

I'm still finding snippets but nothing as exciting as those mentioned above. I don't think there is a family in my 19thC tree that doesn't appear in these records at some point which is a very sobering thought. I knew that several had been "in the House" or receiving relief but the actual number is astonishing. What would these very poor ancestors of mine have made of my lifestyle now?
Old 30-03-14, 11:13

Oooh, and looking at the creed registers for the same month (not indexed), I've found my 2xgreat-grandmother being discharged back to her husband 3 days after she was admitted.
Old 30-03-14, 15:20

Ahh, I've just posted a question on thread about these, they are all very interesting!