Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-01-19, 22:17

Default Creating an Ancestry tree

from scratch, not uploading a GEDCOM, is extremely easy and rather scary.

I'm just putting up a basic tree on ancestry and the amount of help it wants to give is scary. It suggests potential parents, with a full list of children, although it doesn't add the children to the tree.

It seems to compare to other trees and if the details are close it offers it as a match and adds the details in if you wish. It just offered me a woman by listing her children, no other details but added in dates of birth and death and a photo it had got from another tree. I don't know the date of death, nor do I know if the photo is correct.

It is so, so easy and now I understand the number of identical trees on ancestry. There is no hard slog, no searching for misspelled names, no comparing 15 census to find your person, just a blinking yes, no or maybe button.

It's no wonder people can finish their trees in a week.
Old 22-01-19, 06:57

So agree, Kit. My only consolation is that nobody is going to steal my research, since it differs from everyone else, so nobody believes me.
Old 22-01-19, 22:23

haha that's so funny and sad at the same time.

I deleted the bits it added to my tree that weren't in my offline tree but I have made a note of the information that is at a brickwall I have so I can check it out and see if it is correct.

I'm not adding everything, just years of events and state or country, not exact places. Enough detail to show I know something but not everything.