Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 28-07-13, 23:34
Administrator

Default Robert Bristow

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Robert Bristow
Date and place of birth About 1733, possibly at Norwich
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 21 May 1764 at St Christopher le Stock, London, to Elizabeth Selmes, witnesses Catharine Selmes and John Aberman (or Akerman?). Robert "Prestow" is a widower, OTP.
Occupation(s) - if any Weaver on some of his children's baptisms and on sons' apprenticeship indentures, oilman on some baptisms and soldier on others. Gentleman in his will.
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1765-1782 Horselydown, London / Surrey
1767 - Crucifix Lane, Bermondsey
1798 Union Court, St John's (= Horselydown), Surrey, house and shop owned by Alice Alexander
1811 Charlotte Row, Bermondsey
1816 Bletchingley, Surrey

Date, place and cause of death 23 Sep 1816, Bletchingley, Surrey
Date and place of burial. 29 Set 1816 St Mary, Bletchingley, Surrey
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Will signed 6 Apr 1814 and proved at London 22 Oct 1816 (PCC will). Executors son James Bristow and friend John Selmes, butcher, of Bletchingley. Legacies included £2300 stock in the Navy five pounds per centum annuities, with the residue of the estate left to his son Thomas Bristow. The Bank of England will extract says Robert Bristow of Three Oak Lane, Horselydown, oil cooper, but the will says Robt Bristow of Bletchingly in the county of Surry Gentleman.
Memorial inscription - if any Sacred to the memory of Mr Robert Bristow who died Sept 23 1816 aged 83 years.

Link to son's thread:
James Bristow

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 04-09-21 at 18:23. Reason: remove some incorrect info
Old 08-12-16, 19:55
Administrator

I've just found the baptism of a Robert Bristow, son of Robert Bristow, 8 Jun 1735 at Steep, Hampshire. I suppose he could be mine rather than the Buckland one, but I can't see anything else on the Steep people at the moment.

(Edit - I wonder where I found this?)

Further edit - the surname looks more like Burrow or Barrow and there is another baptism on a later page where the surname is definitely Burrow or Barrow. So we can rule this out.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...cklabel=Return

Old 16-11-18, 17:53
Administrator

I have several DNA matches on ancestry, estimated relationship 5th - 8th cousin, with descendants of a couple Captain Anthony Seale and Ann(e) Bristow who married 25 Dec 1720 Middlesex, Virginia, US. The people I match with are descended from different children of this couple, so maybe this Ann(e) Bristow was related to my Robert? Searching for Ann* Bristo* with spouse Ant* Seal* comes up with 1,309 public trees on ancestry! So I am going to have a look through those and see what information is confirmed about her parents, siblings etc. I usually go by the rule that the more trees show the same information, the more likely it is to be wrong, so it might take some time!

Old 17-11-18, 11:56
Administrator

Quite a lot of the public trees have Ann Bristow as the one born 1695/6 at St Dunstan in the East, London, daughter of Robert and Katherine, but I have ruled her out as she married Lord Effingham Howard. A lot of the trees have Ann Bristow as being born around 1701 at Christchurch, Middlesex County, Virginia, daughter of John Bristow and Mary Michal Nicholls, but all I have looked at so far have their sources as Ancestry Family Trees or similar.

Old 18-11-18, 17:20
Administrator

According to Burke's Landed Gentry, Robert Bristow Esq of Ayot St Lawrence and Little Bibbesworth, born 1596, the son of Nicholas Bristow, married Elizabeth Scriven in 1641 and their sixth son was called John. There is a baptism for him in 1663 at Ayot St Lawrence. Their second son, Robert (one of John's elder brothers), born 1643, emigrated to Virginia around 1660, where he married Averilla Curtis, then returned to England around 1676-1680, and his son Robert, born 1662, is the one who married Katherine Woolley. Burke's has no information about what happened to John Bristow born 1663, but it says his eldest brother Nicholas died before their father (although it doesn't give the date of the father's death); other brothers: William 1649-1694 left no sons; Thomas died 1687 unmarried; Charles died 1728 unmarried.

Edit: A publication called "Genealogies of Virginia Families" has a lot about the various Bristows of Virginia and it says that Burke's was wrong, and that the Robert who emigrated to Virginia and back to England was actually a son of John Bristow of Binsted, Hampshire, and this does fit with Robert's will which says he was born there, and mentions sister Jane Blanchard who is mentioned as a daughter in the will of John Bristow of Binsted. Very grateful to Genealogies of Virginia Families!

I found a transcription of the will of a John Bristow of Middlesex County, Virginia, proved 6 Nov 1716, which mentions his wife Mary, sons Nicholas, William and James, daughter Anne, and grandson John, son of Thomas (all these have surname Bristow).

Various public trees say that Anthony Seale and Anne nee Bristow had a son in 1727 or 1729 named Charles Bristow Seale, so he could have been named after the Charles who died in 1728? And this Anne could well be the daughter of John Bristow and granddaughter of Robert.

One of my DNA matches is supposedly descended from a James Bristow born 1693 at Christ Church, Middlesex County, Virginia, and this James had a granddaughter named Averilla. Another DNA match is supposedly descended from a Nicholas Bristow born 1694 Middlesex County, Virginia. These could be John's sons.

Of course I don't know for sure that these matches are related to me on the Bristow line rather than some other way. But it seems possible that my Robert Bristow born 1733 could be related to this Bristow family. But he isn't Robert, son of Robert, son of Robert, son of Robert, son of Robert... as that one is well-documented. So I need to see if there is another Robert born about the right time in this family!

Last edited by kiterunner; 20-11-18 at 16:37. Reason: found that Burke's was wrong
Old 18-11-18, 23:01
Administrator

But hmmm, my Robert Bristow was a weaver on some of his children's baptisms, and a soldier on others (oilman 1765-1770 and 1779; weaver 1772-4 and 1782; soldier 1776) - I've just found out that ancestry has a Robert Bristow in the Royal Hospital Chelsea Regimental Registers of Pensioners, 2nd Regiment of Foot Guards, admitted on an unreadable date (transcribed as 1 Dec 1781 but it is definitely 19th of something!), age 48, 28 1/6 years of service, Asthmatick & Rheumatick, Born at Norwich, a Weaver.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...=successSource

On another page his admission date is clearer - 19th Jun 1781:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return

I don't think this can be the Robert Bristow baptised 6 Dec 1729 at St Stephen, Norwich, the son of Robert and Sarah, as there is a burial 22 Feb 1729/30 at the same church, Robert, son of Robert Bristow.

Can anyone find any more on the Robert born Norwich about 1733 so I can figure out whether he is mine or not, please?

Old 19-11-18, 22:11
Administrator

Quote:
Can anyone find any more on the Robert born Norwich about 1733 so I can figure out whether he is mine or not, please?
Well, I've been looking, but not found anything helpful so far. Still looking....

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-11-18, 22:48
Administrator

Thanks for trying, Merry.

Old 20-11-18, 12:59
Administrator

I realise there were a lot of weavers in Norwich, but I did wonder if this Abraham Bristow is at all significant in the ancestry of the chap in the 2nd Foot Regiment.

There's Abraham Bristow, an apprentice master, worsted weaver, in 1712 in Norwich. There's a burial in 1744 at St Andrew's Norwich which may or may not be the same person not many Abrahams though). The person who died in 1744 wrote a will which is at the Norfolk RO:

http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/...obate%27%29%29

There's a marriage in 1716 too, but there don't seem to be any baptisms for children of Abraham. Maybe they belonged to a non-con church? (non-conformity was strong in Norfolk)

Abraham's wife was Ann Perkins. There's a will in 1753 for Ann Bristow widow which may or may not be the same person.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-11-18, 13:46
Administrator

I can't see a burial for Ann. I'd hoped it might mention her husband's name.

Tags
tt5g33