Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 13-11-12, 14:41

Really fed up! I paid a years subs to the original site, if I had known it would have been better value going n FMP....some times Ihate this expensive obsesson
Old 19-11-12, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Nelly View Post
Really fed up! I paid a years subs to the original site, if I had known it would have been better value going n FMP....some times Ihate this expensive obsesson
But you can find the stuff you want so much easier on the official site. Some of the references I have found range over three pages of newsprint. Not only is it very difficult to find the correct page, but the software only allows you to download the first page.

And, when I refine a search to produce a maneagable number of hits, the refinements are lost on page two of the results. hopefully both glitches will get resolved.
Old 19-11-12, 12:37

I'm so frustrated with the search facility and the results.

I have had hits where I have viewed a page and can't for the life of my find the article/name I want. Nothing is highlighted so it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Phoenix, it is so irritating when you click to go to a subsequent page of results and nothing happens. Even using "xxxx", for example, I still get irrelevant hits.

A lot of work needs to be done to make this database easily usable.
Old 20-11-12, 06:48
Administrator

I have had good results from ignoring the titles on the boxes and just entering everything I need in the forename box. I did a search:

"David Maynard" Whittlesford
(all typed in the forename box)

and got just two results, both of which opened on the right page (apparently) with the article highlighted BUT I was unable to read the article as the page would not remain still. Any movement of my mouse caused the page to shoot around the screen and using the various arrows and/or zoom controls were also a nightmare. I never managed to get the right part of the highlighted area on screen and I gave up in the end because I already have the articles from the Gale site (so I knew exactly which bit of text I needed to look at and still I couldn't find it!!), so wasn't inspired to try harder to see them on FMP.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-11-12, 07:31

Merry, I've just used my method for my ancestor Daniel Jeffcoat, but when I looked at the results the usual ones I get about his bankruptcy are missing.

I'll keep perservering.
Old 20-11-12, 09:19

I don't know what I'm doing right/wrong but I have had a lot more success with FMP than with the British Newspaper Archives website.

Rishile
Old 20-11-12, 10:33
Administrator

I've just had another go using my desktop computer rather than the laptop. I looked for the same two entries as before and did find I could manipulate the images more easiliy this time, but the highlighting on the article vanishes when I zoom in and having no highlighting on the actual words searched means it would take an age to find anything especially as the whole page isn't in focus at the same time, making speed-reading impossible!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-11-12, 11:23
Administrator

For 22 years I have believed my 3xg-grandfather was punished (fined £50 ) for selling tea without a license in 1846. I've at long last found an article about it in the Hampshire Advertiser on FMP and................"Case dismissed" lol Though the reason (that he was set up!) sounded a little doubtful to me!! I hope no bribes changed hands?!

What a struggle though. Doing the search and finding the page was easy (despite him being a Smith!), but the image wobbled about too much to read, so I saved it (pdf) first. The highlighted column turned out to be the wrong one, so I had to read about half the page to find the entry. I then did a 'snapshot' of the bit I wanted, open it in Photobucket, re-save as a jpeg and Bob's your uncle! lol