Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 21-11-12, 09:08

Default James Berry MFF

Name - James Berry ("Jimmy")

Date and place of birth - June qtr 1854, Sutton-in-Craven, Yorkshire

Names of parents - Thomas Berry and Mary Ann Laycock

Date and place of baptism - not found

Details of each of his or her marriages - 30 Apr 1874 to Emma Pickles in Ingleton, Yorkshire

Occupation(s) - Coal Agent/Coal Merchant

Military service - none

Addresses where they lived -
1861 Sutton-in-Craven (parish of Kildwick), Yorkshire
1871 Sutton
1881 Sutton near Keighley
1891 Sutton
1901 Southport, Lancs.
1911 4 Birchley Terrace, Onchan, Isle of Man

Date, place and cause of death - 14 Nov 1930, Onchan, Isle of Man, need cert. for cause

Date and place of burial / cremation
name: James Berry
event: Burial
event date: 18 Nov 1930
event place: Onchan, Isle of Man
marital status:
father:
mother:
spouse:
spouse's marital status:
spouse's father:
spouse's mother:
digital folder number: 004496097
image number: 00013
Source Citation
"Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XZTD-13N : accessed 18 July 2012), James Berry, 1930.

Details of will / administration of their estate - Berry James of 4 Birchley-terrace Oncham [sic] Isle of Man died 14 November 1930 Administration London 7 February to Westminster Bank Limited. Effects £2319 12s. 7d. in England. Resworn £1968 14s. 6d.

Memorial inscription - not found

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 22-04-16 at 14:07. Reason: added burial; added location in 1901
Old 25-11-14, 04:37

James Berry was very hard to find on the 1901. He's written up on the census as a woman, Jane Berry. And he's living with a Mary Walton, the name of the woman he lived with subsequently on the Isle of Man. They are in Southport, Lancs.

Who is Mary Walton? On the 1901 she states that she was born in Crosshills, which is next to Sutton where James was born. So has James run off with a shirttail cousin? I need some nuts and bolts to fasten it down, but James' mother Mary Ann Laycock who married James' father Thomas Berry is, I think, the daughter of the publican James Laycock.

James Laycock has several occupations over the years. If I'm right, Mary Ann had a sister Hannah who married a Walton, and in later years James Laycock was living with Hannah Walton, i.e., she took in their father to live with her. So I wonder if Mary Walton is one of that family but I have no proof.

James Berry, by 1911, was in Onchan, Isle of Man. The census says that the head of house is James Walton and that Mary Walton is James Walton’s wife. James Berry (mistranscribed as Beng, as I recall) is listed as a boarder.

My mother and her sisters were taken now and then as children to see their grandfather, and especially just before they emigrated, sailing in August 1912. So they were present there around the time that this 1911 census picture was snapped.

My mother's story to me was that her grandfather had a housekeeper by the name of Mary, and that the children were instructed to call her "Aunt Mary". There is no sign of any James Walton in these family stories and the census page is signed off by Mary Walton herself. So I have wondered if James "Walton" was a face-saving fiction and James Berry and James Walton were one and the same.

I'm meant to be packing for a trip so I have to drop this now!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 23-04-16, 03:04

Looking again at the possible births, I see only two in Keighley R.D. that could conceivably be him: 1st quarter 1853, or 2nd quarter 1854. He's 6 years old on the 1861 census, born Sutton, and at his marriage, 30 April 1874, he is 20. So logically it would be the 1854 one but I haven't proven it. I suppose I'll have to spring for this cert sooner or later and hope I've got the right one.

I've also looked hard for a baptism without success. The Berry family were involved with the Baptist chapel but I can't find anything there. I know they also used the Anglican church for some burials but St Thomas in Sutton didn't exist before 1868 so before that it could have been Kildwick but I can't find anything there either.

Janet (Niagara)