Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 24-11-21, 05:59

Default County Confusion

I have a child dying in Wales although she and her family spent all their time in Staffordshire. I'm confused as the register says Colwyn and Carnarvon but the transcription says "Llandrillo-Yn-Rhos, Denbighshire".

FreeBDM says it was registered in Conway.

Kathleen Mary Stanway

I'm not sure what to put as the place of burial.
Old 24-11-21, 09:47
Administrator

Wikipedia says that "Colwyn Bay is a town, community and seaside resort in Conwy County Borough on the north coast of Wales overlooking the Irish Sea. It lies within the historic county of Denbighshire."

GENUKI says that ""Colwyn district, originally assigned in 1844 and re-arranged in 1872, consists of the townships of Eirias, Colwyn, and Cilgwyn, out of the parish of Llandrillo; a portion of Llanelian, and the hamlets of Graig out of the parish of Llysfaen. These limits remain intact, with the exception of the township of Cilgwyn, which has been transferred to form part of the new parish of Brynmaen." [From Colwyn Bay Weekly News and Visitors Chronicle, 20 October 1899] This place was believed to be originally in the detached portion of Caernarfonshire but is treated here as being in Denbighshire - see the area shown on the map under Llysfaen."

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update