Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-01-22, 09:50
Administrator

Grrr, there are a lot of variables for this family and, so far, I clearly haven't hit on the right combination to find them on a census.

FMP Irish Newspapers:

Drogheda Independent 05 November 1904

Quite a long piece which begins:

Michael Martin was charged in custody, at the suit of the Balrothery Board of Guardians with refusing t contribute to the support of hs wife and children by leaving them a burden on the rates.

It goes on to detail how often Michael is drunk, who he has assaulted on various occasions, his aggression and use of bad language, what short terms of imprisonment has has been sentenced to, etc etc. But no details about the wife or children to confirm this is the same Michael, though it seems likely. One of the witnesses for the prossecution was the Balrothery workhouse master.

Drogheda Argus and Leinster Journal 03 September 1904

Here there is a warrant for his arrest for dessertion. This time it says wife and two children which seems right as we now there's Anna (1893) and John (1901).

I now can't remember if I looked at other births between the second marriage and 1901 before mmn was included in the index, to see if there were any other children. I don't think I did, as there were probably quite a few, given I didn't know if they were born in Balrothery or Dublin or elsewhere (though elsewhere seems unlikely).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-01-22, 09:58
Administrator

Wow, thanks very much for all that, Merry. Date of birth 24th December 1893 is pretty close to what I was looking for. Surely it must be her. I had made the mistake of concentrating on Dublin itself when looking for the birth. I found a Christina Martin age 7 in Swords on the 1901 census, a boarder, who could be her.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-01-22, 10:00
Administrator

OK, there are only three births without mmn in Balrothery 1897-1900 and one is for the right couple - Charles Martin b Oct 1898 Balrothery W/H.

So, either Charles or John needs to have died by 1904 or maybe Anna isn't living with Margaret (step-mother)?

Is all Irish research like this? Every bit I've ever done is similar!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-01-22, 10:05
Administrator

Drogheda Independent 26 March 1904

On Wednesday last a man named Michael Martin, popularly known as the "Iron Man," applied to the Guardians at Balrothery Union for the admission of his wife and two children. He himself refused to go into the house......

He went away, came back drunk and assaulted various officials who tried to throw him out. He got two months hard labour for this.

Old 07-01-22, 10:07
Administrator

Drogheda Independent 12 March 1910

Similar antics, but no mention of any family this time, so may not be the same man.

Old 07-01-22, 10:12
Administrator

He sounds lovely!

1911 census Oberstown (Holmpatrick, Dublin) the workhouse, has Maggie Martin 30, Charles 13, John 10, and Patrick 3.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Oberstown/109/

Old 07-01-22, 10:15
Administrator

Okay, they're on page 3 of the workhouse return. All Roman Catholic, Maggie's occupation Domestic Servant, married 10 years, 3 children, birthplace for all is Co Dublin, "where from" (i.e. where admitted from) is Balbriggan.

Old 07-01-22, 10:16
Administrator

So Patrick must be the one born 1908 South Dublin.

Old 07-01-22, 10:25
Administrator

There are three newspaper entries in the late 1890s, so this is a summary of those in order:

Drogheda Independent 01 May 1897

A list of facts for this column, which sound like tongue in cheek comments from local news, such as what various committees have been doing right or wrong, or local councils takig ages to get a job done etc etc, but includes:

"That Michael Martin and his wife, sometime of Balrothery Workhouse, had a cold honeymoon of it."

Drogheda Independent 10 July 1897

Michael came to the porter's hut at B W/H and was threatening, drunk and abusive and had a rock in his hand. the rest of what happened is similar to before, bt there is also these quotes from various officials:

That Martin is the fellow they call The Iron Man. He is a terrible fellow.

Is that the man who got married from here?

The very same. He is from Malahide too.

Is he now? Some terrible fellows from Malahide (much laughter)

Another of these Martin's was down here and married "the nut" (more laughter)

Not sure who that last bit refers to but included it for completeness!

Drogheda Independent 26 March 1898

Michael Martin requested a pair of new boots from the Workhouse. He was issued with old boots instead. He was described as 'the wife walloper' in the article. Apparently the doctor had said she shouldn't go out with Martin because of the baby.

That's a bit confusing as she wasn't very pregnant at ths time, and I doubt anyone would have cared about her welfare at this point, but surey all these snippets are about the family we are looking for?

And, Yes I do think that birth reg is the right one.

Old 07-01-22, 10:33
Administrator

Here's a clue...

Drogheda Independent 19 August 1905

Mrs Margaret Martin "sought admission to the hospitality of the workhouse" (I bet she wasn't laughing like these tabloid journalists ).

Then it was the usual things about Margaret not being supported by her husband.

The useful bit is that Margaret often lived with her sister, Bridget Donnelly (1897 marriage witness?). Bridget Donnelly is described as "and family", so I don't know if she had children too though single. She and her family were also in and out of B W/H, but perhaps there's a chance they were together on a census?