Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-11-09, 12:59

Default Another look at OH's grandad........... pretty please

I have asked for help on this problem quite a while ago on FTF but nothing sorted so thought I'd try again.

OH's grandad was supposedly a Yorkshireman. He left home to join the army in 1903 and never returned home. He was in the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Married a girl from Ashby de la Zouch in 1908.

1911 census says he was from Rotherham, Yorkshire. When asked about his early life he refused to talk about it, saying he wasn't wanted. Unsure about his real date of birth even. His daughter had 22nd July as his birthday but no year. They think he was the same age as his wife, she was born in 1886.

No birth reg can be found. The army record has very little info and gives his next of kin as his wife when he was recalled for WW1.

OH is more than a little miffed that we are stuck on his grandad on his main line.

What I do have is:

Peter HARRISON married Lily COX on 25th Dec 1908 in Ashby. Ages at marriage are 23 for him and 22 for her. Lily was born 19 Jan 1886. That should put his year of birth at 1885.

He joined the army in Castleford, Yorkshire in 1903 Reg number 8003.
He was taken POW in Russia in 1915 and was there for the rest of the war.

His name of his sons marriage cert is Peter Henry Harrison and also on his own death cert he is listed as Peter Henry Harrison.

No mention of a middle name on his own marriage cert though.
Old 12-11-09, 13:06
Administrator

Do you have all his children's birth certs? I wondered what name he was given on those (doubtful it would help though!).

I know we have been here before, but did he give a name for his father on the marriage cert? (racks brains! lol)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-11-09, 13:22

Hi Merry

Only full birth cert I have for the children is fil's. That says Peter Henry Harrison.
I have 3 of his childrens marriage certs and they all say Peter Henry.

He is the informant on his mil's death cert. That says P H Harrison and the same on his wife's death cert.

On his own marriage cert it says father is Thomas Harrison (deceased). This put us on a wild goose chase for many years as we have the birth cert of a Peter Harrison born 11 June 1886 in York. Father Thomas Harrison a glassblower. We followed this line with many certs(grrrrrrrrrrrrr) for years.

It was only when the 1911 census was released that I realised that the York Peter Harrison was still in York and ours was in Ashby.

Fil has told me that his mates down the pit used to call his dad Harry. He thinks that was because of his middle name Henry. I think it's more likely to be short for Harrison.
Old 12-11-09, 13:26

Army pension record says Peter Henry.

It's here:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...Army&gst=&so=3
Old 12-11-09, 13:29
Stella

When was Thomas Harrison born Margaret. I have one in my tree born 1868 in Methley, Castleford, Yorkshire.
Old 12-11-09, 13:29
Administrator

Hmmmm....well, as I'm sure you know, all the Peters b in Rotherham around 1885 seem to be accounted for, either marrying or dying, or both.

Peter was an unusual name for the date, which might account for him being called Harry (as you say, more likely to be from his surname than middle name). When was he down the pits?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-11-09, 13:33
Administrator

F-i-L wasn't aware of any aunts or uncles on that side?

Old 12-11-09, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
When was Thomas Harrison born Margaret. I have one in my tree born 1868 in Methley, Castleford, Yorkshire.
I have no idea Stella

I think he may have made the name up for his marriage cert.
Old 12-11-09, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Hmmmm....well, as I'm sure you know, all the Peters b in Rotherham around 1885 seem to be accounted for, either marrying or dying, or both.

Peter was an unusual name for the date, which might account for him being called Harry (as you say, more likely to be from his surname than middle name). When was he down the pits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
F-i-L wasn't aware of any aunts or uncles on that side?
Merry

He was a miner on his marriage cert in 1908. He obviously went to that straight away after leaving the army.
He was called up again in 1913 and went back down the pit after he was discharged after the war. He remained a miner all of his life. He died in 1965 still refusing to tell any of his family anything about his early life.

No aunts and uncles, cousins at all. They just didn't exist. The family say he was a Yorkshireman and the 1911 census seems to back that up.
Old 13-11-09, 09:49

some may i have have found with thomas as dad

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1

or no dad

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...by=1885&gsb2co

this one might be it
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...n=harrison&gsb
different name to father? and father was a coal miner

you might have to follow a few or do some guessing