Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 15-07-10, 03:55

Default Eliza Gurren (OH's MMMM)

Oh, my. One of OH's mysterious great-great-grandmothers -

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Eliza GURREN, also spelt GURRAN, GURRIN, GUERIN, , Eliza Dyter, Elizabeth Cardwell

Date and place of birth
abt 1839, Kells, Meath, Ireland

Names of parents
Edward Gurren (as spelt on his migration and death etc) and Mary nee Smyth

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
not known

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

1) "1861 Sydney" to Frederick Moffatt READ. This claim is made on the birth cert. of her son Frederick Moffatt, who in adult life used the surname GURRIN, but no evidence in BDM indexes. No death registration found for Frederick READ either, although their youngest child Alfred READ died at Parramatta St, Sydney on 2 Feb 1869.

2) 30 Sep 1869, as spinster Eliza GURRIN, at Colly Blue, Liverpool Plains, New South Wales, to John DYTER (who died 13 Jul 1888)

3) 11 Jun 1894 at BDM Registry Office, Newtown, Sydney NSW to John CARDWELL

Occupation(s) - if any
"domestic servant", 1856

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.

no census records
1856 (age 17) 22 Feb arrived to Sydney NSW on the ship "David McIver" with parents Edward and Mary, siblings Anne, 24, Bridget, 22, Julia, 20 and Edward 17
1861 resided 418 Kent St Sydney, birth of son Frederick
1869 resided Parramatta St, Sydney, death of son Alfred
1869, resided Colly Blue, Liverpool Plains, marriage
1882 - sold up at Colly Blue and moved to Sydney - due to illness of John Dyter ??
1888 - Cavendish St, Stanmore, Sydney NSW

Date, place and cause of death

15 Feb 1898, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, Sydney. COD - Brights Disease (Delerium Tremens) 5 weeks, heart failure.

Date and place of burial / cremation.

16 Feb 1898, Rookwood Church of England Cemetery (FF275) with second husband John Dyter !

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
none known

Memorial inscription - if any

no indication on headstone that she is buried there
Headstone reads
"in loving memory of John Dyter
died 13 Jul 1888 age 51 years
Farewell dear wife, my days are past,
I loved you well while life did last,
But no more sorrow for me now make
But love the Bible for my sake"
Old 27-04-13, 08:06

Since I posted OH's GG Grandmother, nearly 3 years ago, I found out some about her.

Including just yesterday, I found a memorial notice for her third husband John Cardwell. I have never been able to find out, without getting a marriage certficate, very much abou thim.

The memorial notice indicates that he died in Belfast Ireland aged 49 on 8 Oct 1895.

There is a matching probate record on the PRONI Will Calendar, for letters of administration to his brother Francis. John died 8 Oct 1895 leaving 483 pounds. It gives his address as Spirit Grocer of 72 Canmore St Belfast.

I also found that in December 1869, Eliza was in the hospice and husband Frederick disappeared leaving their four children, including baby Alfred, alone on Boxing Day (looking for work he said). The police took the children to the Benevolent Asylum, where they were kept for a month, except for 16 year old Frederick who absconded and the baby Alfred, who died just before they were released.

Now I will have to get the last marriage certificate, just to make sure it is the right John Cardwell !

Father Frederick Read was before the Courts several times for drunkeness and rioting, finally being admitted to the Gladesville Asylum for alcoholism and drunkeness and stayed there for 18 months (very docile, good at chopping wood) before being released into the care of his mother (Eliza was long gone and married to her second husband)

Tags
to2g17