Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 14-06-19, 15:27

Default Last chance to explore distant matches?

It looks like Ancestry will be making the beta matches permanent on 1 July.

This will radically reduce the usefulness of the DNA matches, so get going now to harvest the information, before it's too late.

It is so much quicker to evaluate the usefulness of a match using the old system, as you can set a page you want to look at, rather than having to wade past all the matches you already know about.
Old 15-06-19, 00:18

how do you set a page?

I've found with the new system if you wait a few seconds it will take you back to where you were but I am not always patient.
Old 15-06-19, 08:42

If you switch Beta off (top right hand side of screen) you get your matches listed in pages. I have some 450 pages and my poor jewish friend has nearly ten times that number.

You can then look relatively easily at matches of (say) 10cM. The notion that only the 20cM and above are worth investigating is rubbish, but they are really hard to find under the new system.

I've found good matches way down the list, but I want to eliminate the no hopers - no tree/ died ten years ago etc.
Old 15-06-19, 10:39
Administrator

I suppose you could hide each match when you have checked it, so that it won't show up on the list next time. You can still view hidden matches if you select to. And you can un-hide them when you've worked through the list.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-06-19, 11:56

I do, and once I have gone through all 25k matches, I'll have a manageable list of say a thousand. But I shan't have finished before they change the system.
Old 15-06-19, 13:23
maggie_4_7

If you use the matches you haven't viewed filter and then once you have viewed them make a note on them if maybe need to investigate further and why and create a group for them, hide the ones you know you no longer want and put a note on to remind you why you don't want them just in case you go back to them.

If you refresh the list it will then knock them out.

I am just trying to think of a way that will work for you.
Old 15-06-19, 15:46

I put a note on all that I look at, particularly those I hide, but I cannot access those under about 15 cM with any ease, and you can't check places.
Old 15-06-19, 21:13

When I investigate a match I enter it on a spreadsheet and group all shared matches with that person. That way I mop up a lot of people with really low cM matches with me that I wouldn't otherwise notice. I suspect a lot of people do this.
Old 15-06-19, 22:04

That only mops up the over 20cM. I had a really good match, sharing granny's granny's parents but only 8cM in common and no shared matches. Common surnames and places not on Ancestry's database, so not accessible under the new search. I'm ploughing through, but have only eliminated 10% so far.
Old 19-06-19, 09:40

I saw the notification from ancestry

but

Up to now I have only looked at the 317 4th cousins or closer matches.

Yesterday I looked at and printed off the list of all the matches - well the first 30 pages of them from 13.8cm upwards (moderate). I have no idea how many pages there are.

So what should I do?

Do I have to go through each one right down to ?% - I have tried a few whilst printing off and even with a match they say there's no shared matches - so goodness knows where they get the cm from. How do I save them - I don't want to star them as one side is too numerous.