Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-02-19, 13:44
Administrator

I'm not sure but you can mark people in your tree as "living" even if their dob is more than 100 years ago.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-02-19, 16:20

Hmmm, he's still showing as living - I've got his full dob on the tree so I'll have to check the day after his birthday and see if I can make him private or change him to living.

If I remember I'll come back and let you know
Old 13-02-19, 05:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
Does Ancestry still use the 100 year rule? I've still not put my parents death dates on my Ancestry tree as it felt odd putting their details up for all to see (I don't know why and yes I know people could work it out if they wanted to) But Dad would have been 100 yrs old this year and I'm wondering if his details will become viewable ….
Not silly at all. I feel funny putting up details of anyone my Dad has talked about over the years even if they died before I was born. I feel like I know them. Someone has my great grandma in their tree, complete with a photo I've never seen, and I was a little miffed at first, she's my relative, not theirs after all. haha I did meet her but she died when I was 1 year old so I have no memory at all only a photo of the occasion.

I probably would not have been so miffed if she had looked as pretty as the photo of her sister the man also posted, which was his direct ancestor.
Old 13-02-19, 15:40

My prospective Ancestry tree (I am still blowing hot and cold about doing it) is for my father's family through his father. This grandfather whose name must never be spoken was the reason I began tracing my family in the first place and it was so exciting when I finally found out who he was and where he'd come from. That was over 10 years ago and I have never been able to find any other descendents of my great grandparents...until now when this tree has appeared on Ancestry, entered by the daughter of a first cousin my dad never knew existed. I'm hoping she can answer some questions about the family for me and want to give what I know in return....but I don't want to put Dad on a public tree for all to see, even though relatives from his mother's side have him on theirs ( he would be 111 if he were still alive) since his birth is in the records to be searched for. I don't like seeing him on other people's trees and feel a bit silly about my attitude but as Kit says, he's mine
Old 13-02-19, 15:47
Administrator

You can always put his name in as XXX XXX or Private Private or something like that, Ann.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-02-19, 06:03

My Dad and Grandad/Grandma are just recorded by their surname, no other details Ann. I did the same for my great grandparents but finally put their names in as it makes it more difficult to be able to contact me if the links are so far back in time.
Old 14-02-19, 07:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Living people's details are kept private by ancestry anyway, even in public trees.
No they don't because my siblings and I appear on a family tree on Ancestry, admittedly without birth or (thankfully) death dates , but given the dates for my parents we are likely to still be alive.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine