Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-03-19, 04:52

Hi , I do believe that the military records in this previous post are of the right person. I have translated some of the French and Francois was stationed in east Africa and Kampala Uganda around the time we are looking for for his marriage etc .i am very busy today having to travel all day . But hopefully will look again tomorrow
Old 13-03-19, 05:16

I think the Villefranche birth of Francois is the correct one as stated on military papers . It places him in Kampala Uganda . And he was there still in 1916 . so I think he is my husbands Grandfather . He travelled around that area ,Mombasa etc. And that would fit in with a lot we know with regards to my husbands father .
Old 13-03-19, 05:49

I also believe that the marcellin Francois born in Villefranche is him , there's nothing to say his father didn't become a merchant later in life as a farmer he could start to trade his goods some people don't use their first names . So this could be the case .
Old 13-03-19, 08:28
Administrator

Would you be able to post a link to the military record, please?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-03-19, 10:10
Administrator

Something I just found by Googling:
https://www.klarchdiocese.org.ug/ind.../the-cathedral

St Mary's and Sacred Heart Cathedral, Rubaga, Kampala: As for the cathedral's bells, they were offered by Mr. FM Alcouffe from Aveyron, France, and bought from Annecy Vieux, France in 1925.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-03-19, 18:36

I had a look on the military record (http://archives.aveyron.fr/ark:/1197...er=990,-1463.5 ) and it is definitely the same person as the one born in 1875, as the names of both parents match.

According to the military record (who seemed quite miffed that he wasn't around to go in the army) he was in Mozambique in 1904, in Nairobi and Mombasa (written as Nairoldi) in British East Africa (Kenya) in 1907 and in Kampala, Uganda in 1911.
Old 13-03-19, 18:52

Francois was the son of Francois Alcouffe and Victoire Justine Boutonnet who married in Villefranche on 16 Nov 1868. Francois Sr, was the son of Jerome Alcouffe and Jeanne Marty, so maybe Francois added his father's name at some point. At least the name was in the family!
Old 13-03-19, 19:55

Thank you so much crawfie for finding that . My husband Is over the moon . Francois we believe was the first person to have a factory that did remould tyres in east Africa . But we have never been able to find out much about that . But the donation of bells is fantastic news .
Old 13-03-19, 20:06

We are going to Aveyron in June sometimes , so we hope to have a look around Villefranche . It will be a interesting visit .
Old 13-03-19, 20:08

Crawfie , did Jerome have anymore children ? it would be interesting to see if there was any who were in Aveyron . Thanks