Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-12-23, 06:52

The difference is the first names are different, don't even start with the same letter so could they just cancel one name and change it to another? Like you Merry I couldn't find a death or marriage for 1 of them. I'll have a word with D in L and pass on your suggestion re certificates.
Old 05-12-23, 08:44
Administrator

Is the 'a' index entry the name someone is aware of as a relation? If they get this cert then it will become clear what the amendment was. If it's something other than the first name being completely changed that's when you need to think again about the other index entry!

Reminds me of when my grandfather went to register one of my aunts. She was born in May so that's what he registered her as, because he forgotten the name his wife had told him as had been to the pub on the way to the RO! They never changed her name though!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-12-23, 14:30

I have now seen a copy of D in L's father's birth certificate. As he's still alive I can't give names. The certificate has the original first name given at Registration and in the name column for Baptismal Name if added after Registration, has the name he has always been known as.
What D in L has now asked me is, how does his passport only have the added name and not the first name give as well? Would he not have to submit a copy to obtain his passport? Does adding the second given name change his original name?
Old 11-12-23, 15:33
Administrator

There is some info on here about changing a baby's given name which suggests that the baptismal name replaces the original name even though both are shown on the long form birth certificate:
https://www.tameside.gov.uk/Registra...r-Registration

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-12-23, 15:44
Administrator

I have just received a PDF copy of the birth certificate of my great-grandmother's 1st cousin once removed, another "occasional copy A". Her name wasn't changed, but when her mother registered her birth in 1876 she made up a father's name and occupation, and a maiden name for herself, and it was corrected in 1927 on production of a Statutory Declaration made by the mother, just a few months before her (the mother's) death.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-12-23, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There is some info on here about changing a baby's given name which suggests that the baptismal name replaces the original name even though both are shown on the long form birth certificate:
https://www.tameside.gov.uk/Registra...r-Registration
Thanks Kite, That's obviously what happened.
I've learnt something new today.

I have just received a PDF copy of the birth certificate of my great-grandmother's 1st cousin once removed, another "occasional copy A". Her name wasn't changed, but when her mother registered her birth in 1876 she made up a father's name and occupation, and a maiden name for herself, and it was corrected in 1927 on production of a Statutory Declaration made by the mother, just a few months before her (the mother's) death.

Came back to say, I expect the mother wanted to die with a clear conscience before she met her maker.

Last edited by Durham Lady; 11-12-23 at 16:52.