Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-08-19, 09:13
Administrator

Default Question about erolls and women's suffrage

I have a 1939 Register entry for a man who is a widower (says he is!). Living with him is a daughter born in 1920.

I have tried to find a marriage for the parents, including trying previous marriage(s) for the wife whose first names I don't know/can't prove.

I have found the father on the electoral rolls from 1920-1939. In none of these does he have a wife listed, but of course I don't know when she died (if she died). In the records for the 1920s the father is living with his parents and unmarried brother. In the later ones he is by himself (same address). There are some gaps around 1930.

My question is - if this man was married at any point, when might I expect to see his wife on the erolls? His mother appears with her husband in the 1920s. Would his wife be listed too under normal circumstances?

Yes, I could buy the 1920 birth cert, but it is such a long shot I don't want to waste the money if I can work out a way of proving his 'wife' wasn't the person I would like it to be!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-08-19, 09:40

Universal suffrage for women from 1928 for women over the age of 21, so all women born before 1907. If her daughter was born in 1919 then mum prob born before 1904.

(Sorry Merry, I know you could work that out yourself, just thinking aloud lol).

OC
Old 08-08-19, 09:49
Administrator

I've just found another child b 1923, same district. I don't think there are any more.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-08-19, 10:41

Does the mother’s maiden name on the births not help find her name?
Old 08-08-19, 11:20
Administrator

The woman I'm looking for has a completely unique name at birth (1880). Then she married a Jones in 1902! In 1911 her husband is with his parents, no wife. Says he has been married 7years, not 9 and says no children, which i think is correct. Wife nowhere to be seen. I have eliminated all entries for her with the right forename and place of birth, but with any surname. I believe she is still alive according to the numbers of children on her mother's 1911 census entry. Now I'm looking at all births with her unusual name as mmm. Most are the children of her sisters! I know this woman's 1902 husband lived with another woman as man and wife in the 1920s. In 1939 he said he was married even thought his common law wife was decd. Im thinking he meant he was stil married to his original wife!

Old 08-08-19, 16:03
Administrator

What should I think if I find someone on the 1939 register who was born less than 100 years ago, and who has a 'new' surname noted against her entry, but I can't find a marriage or a death in either name?

Old 08-08-19, 16:08

That she became a wren or a fanny or whatever, married abroad and died before the records went out of use?

There must have been some sort of proof for name changes.

But nobody knows better than you do that records may be incorrectly opened. Mum's is closed still, my aunt's erroneously opened.
Old 08-08-19, 16:08
Administrator

Changed her name but didn't get married, or married outside this country but was still resident here? The death could be in the last few years so not on the online public indexes, but on the more recent ones which FMP used in processing, or of course it could be that she is still alive and her record was wrongly opened.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-08-19, 16:15
Administrator

For ages I couldn't find the entry on Ancestry, but now I've found it the name is different, so now I'm not even sure it's the right person because the bottom edge of the name is covered with the black stripe from the following entry.

Of course I know lots of reasons why I can't find the marriage etc, but I've been looking at this for too long today! How significant is the date in the same ink as the new surname?

Old 08-08-19, 16:19
Administrator

What do you think it says? It's the second entry from the top:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...154.1560346996