Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-08-19, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Welcome to the forum, linds1967. I've re-read this thread a couple of times, but I'm confused by what you say about Bertha Louise Jones not being the bride in the 1907 marriage but a witness. Are you talking about the marriage of Bertha Louisa Jones to Henry John Enbel (or Eubel, or Embel) in 1907? If so, could you give us the full details of what it says on the marriage certificate, please?
Hi, yes thats the marriage I am referring to - I didn't purchase the marriage certificate as it didn't seem right to me as she was still living at home on the 1911 census. After checking electoral rolls, census info, etc, I found Margaret Louisa Buckland married to Alfred James Thomas so do not think she married at that time and strangely they are all listed on the same reference number which I assume would mean only one marriage took place (I assume a double marriage would mean 2 reference numbers?). Bit confusing!
Old 06-08-19, 19:59
Administrator

It is normal to have four names with the same marriage reference in the GRO index. This just reflects that two marriages appear on the same page of the parish register or registrar's register. (in earlier years you may find up to 8 names with the same reference).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-08-19, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
It is normal to have four names with the same marriage reference in the GRO index. This just reflects that two marriages appear on the same page of the parish register or registrar's register. (in earlier years you may find up to 8 names with the same reference).
I didn't realise that thank you

Strange that she was listed as living at home in 1911 under the name Jones if she had married

Now that I know it was usual practice - I'm off to purchase the marriage certificate!
Old 06-08-19, 22:40
Administrator

If it helps, my great-grandparents got married in 1899 but my great-grandmother is listed as unmarried, under her maiden name, at her father's house, on the 1901 census.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-08-19, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If it helps, my great-grandparents got married in 1899 but my great-grandmother is listed as unmarried, under her maiden name, at her father's house, on the 1901 census.
They certainly haven't made it easy for us!
Old 07-08-19, 07:17

I wonder what happened to Maureen, the original poster? She didn't comment after her original post.
Old 14-08-19, 10:33

So pleased I found this forum - I received Bertha's marriage certificate today and it does look like this Bertha mentioned was my Great Aunt Bertha. I have sent a message and email to the original poster, but not heard back from her which is a shame as I know a bit about the family.