Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 14-06-19, 04:33

Default DNA Circles

I received an email from ancestry yesterday stating DNA circles are definitely being retired in favour of ThruLines so if you have circles working screenshot it all.

I just wish they would fix ThruLines so they stop telling me Dad is related to someone in my own tree and no one else.
Old 15-06-19, 01:07

In a way, I am not sad to see DNA Circles go, as they have not changed much or been added to since we established our DNA samples. There are lots more people now with Common Ancestors who could be in our Circles but they have not been added in.

For us, Dad, me and my daughter, the ThruLines work mostly - a couple threw up odd ancestors who don't appear to be correct, or are a bit random, but there must be a DNA connection. How they made the connection to William Martin's possible mother Jane to John Dubbin and Ann Puttock is beyond me - I am not even sure I have the right parents. Too many Martins and other family around Brighton to be even sure its the right ancestor connection.

I have noticed that a couple of people I have investigated had incorrect family trees. I easily worked out where they are wrong, but the DNA connection stands, so its just a matter of them not doing any real research - a quick search through FreeBMD makes me shake my head. And then there are the two trees with DNA connections which have different wives to the common ancestor's son - one of them has to be wrong, unless he married twice (or he has a cousin of the same name, which is quite possible). I don't have the energy at the moment to spend a lot of time to figure it out.

Di
Old 15-06-19, 03:27

Circles seem to offer up people who we may not be related to by DNA but share a common ancestor, which seems useful.

Thrulines haven't really helped make any breakthroughs but it does tell you who else claims to be related to those already in your tree.

I had one match who had the parents of one of my brickwalls and I was so excited. I spent an hour on it before I disproved what she had said, went to my tree to make a note of it only to discover I had done all that work in 2012. The problem is that the rest of the Thrulines are based on that error so I have no help getting further back.
Old 15-06-19, 07:35

Thrulines does its own piggy-backing, so someone with no pretensions to much research is allegedly related via a couple who married in the 1730s, using trees of people who are not DNA matches. This relies on my Mary marrying bigamously and producing two families to different men simultaneously.
Old 18-06-19, 12:05

So your Mary is a rather busy and clever woman.