Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-03-20, 15:49

Default Reginald John Medlock (1897 - 1960)

Reginald John Medlock was allegedly the black sheep of the family. Sometime in the 1920s there had been an ‘incident’, the exact nature of which was never revealed to me, as a result of which he left Coventry and was never seen or heard from again. It was said that this broke his mother’s heart.

When I came on the scene twenty or so years ago, Reg had pretty much been forgotten. In fact, Mr Nomad had never heard of him. I set out to find out what I could. Now I’m hoping a joint effort might fill in some of the gaps. I’ve added questions where I can see the gaps in what I have discovered.

Reginald John Medlock was born on 4 September 1897 in Foleshill RD in Warwickshire. His Birth Certificate is silent as to the exact place of his birth, but I would expect it to be the family home in Station Street East. He was baptised at St Paul’s church and in the fullness of time became an apprentice painter with Coventry Tramway, where his father, John James Manning Medlock, was superintendent. In 1914 he joined up, was released from military service within weeks and then later conscripted. He served without distinction and came back to civvy street.

In the June Quarter of 1918, he married Florence E Hawkins in Coventry.

1. I can’t see any children from this marriage. Perhaps someone could confirm that I haven’t missed any. The Medlock (mmn Harris) children are accounted for, if that helps.

2. I can’t see what happened to Florence later on – no remarriage or death. What am I missing?

Sometime in the 1920s, Reg moved to London. I have him on the electoral roll in St Pancras in 1928 and 1929. In 1928 he is apparently alone. In 1929, he is with Florence Medlock. For reasons that will become apparent, I don’t think this is the former Miss Hawkins. Even if I didn’t have other reasons for thinking this, the family story is that she was left behind.

The electoral rolls go all the way through to his death in 1960, all in West London. In 1936, 1937 and 1939, she is referred to as Florence Perks. Otherwise she is referred to as Florence Medlock. I also have them on the 1939 Register at 20 Bedford Road, Ruislip Gardens, Middlesex, which confirms his date of birth and gives hers as 8 September 1893.

With them in 1939 are three Medlock children, born between 1927 and 1938, one of whom at least is still alive. All the birth entries give the mother’s maiden name as Stone. I strongly suspect that, although this Florence took Reg’s name, they were never married. I certainly can’t find a marriage entry.

Reg died at Harefield Hospital on 20 February 1960, following surgery for lung cancer. His last job was as a baggage handler at nearby Heathrow. Florence died in Hillingdon in March Quarter 1971. Her date of birth on the Death Register is a year out, but I am happy that this entry refers to her.

The Perks/Stone thing led me to a marriage in Exeter in JQ1920 between Charles Perks and Florence Stone and to a birth registered in Totnes in the September Quarter of 1893 – Florence Ann Stone MMN Millman, but I’m not sure if this is too much of a leap.

However, a search for Perks children with MMN Stone produced, unexpectedly, two births in Coventry in 1924 and 1926 respectively. The name of the younger child could be significant. Neither seems to appear yet in the Death Index for England and Wales, but I do wonder whether this is just a simple case of ‘playing away’ exaggerated by the prevailing mores of the time.

3. Is it possible to identify definitely Florence Stone/Perks/Medlock?

4. Does it look as if I am on the right track?

Thanks
Old 01-03-20, 16:01
Administrator

I got fuzzy-headed before the end of your post, but do you know that Florence E Hawkins was a spinster at the 1918 marriage?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-03-20, 16:10
Administrator

In answer to question number 3, I suppose you could get the Perks / Stone marriage cert, but hopefully we can figure it out without that.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-03-20, 16:15
Administrator

Quote:
I’m not sure if this is too much of a leap.
I don't think it's much of a leap!

Have you looked at what happened to Charles Perks?

Quote:
However, a search for Perks children with MMN Stone produced, unexpectedly, two births in Coventry in 1924 and 1926 respectively.
There are four children b Cov, not two (1921 and 1922 plus the two you mention).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-03-20, 16:21

Sorry. I hoped the paras would be enough.

I had believed that Florence Hawkins was a spinster at the time of the 1918 marriage.

Looking at the Medlock/Hawkins marriage entry on Ancestry, I can see that Florence Hawkins has been linked with the Hillingdon death, a US Social Security application that bears further investigation, a birth in Tiverton in 1894 and so on. It seems quite random and I am no longer sure which Florence we are dealing with or how many Florences there were.

I've also located a fourth Medlock/Stone child, Barbara May, who was a GI bride and died in Illinois in 1990. No descendants as far as I can see.
Old 01-03-20, 16:25
Administrator

The child with the significant name (1926) is on the 1939 register with Charles Perks and yet another (?) Florence (middle initials V R and dob 25 (or 28?) Feb 1892). As there doesn't seem to be an obvious death reg for him (as you said), has someone asked for the entry to be opened, or has it been opened in error?

Old 01-03-20, 16:26
Administrator

There are various possible remarriages or deaths for Florence E Medlock but not enough info to know which, if any, is her.

Old 01-03-20, 16:36

A report of the marriage on BNA gives details as follows: Florence was the daughter of the late Reuben Stone and Charles was from Coventry. It appears that Florence was born before her parents were married and is registered as Florence Stone Bennelick in 1893.

I can't workout how to attach an image of the paper clipping.
Old 01-03-20, 16:42
Administrator

If you can wait till the 1921 census is released, we should be able to find the first Florence on there, hopefully, unless she died between 1918 and 1921.

Old 01-03-20, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfie View Post
A report of the marriage on BNA gives details as follows: Florence was the daughter of the late Reuben Stone and Charles was from Coventry. It appears that Florence was born before her parents were married and is registered as Florence Stone Bennelick in 1893.

I can't workout how to attach an image of the paper clipping.

Florence's mother was Charlotte Modley who was married to Francis Bennellick in 1887. In 1891 Charlotte is alone with son Samuel (b.1888), I think that the marriage must have broken down, as by 1901 both Frank and Charlotte were living with other partners. Charlotte had a number of children with Reuben all registered under the Bennellick name.

There was another Florence Bennellick born in 18194 who married Alfred Pulman, and a Florence Ellen Stone born in 1894 who married Hobert (?) Easterbrook