Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-03-11, 08:54

Sorry Merry.. didn't mean to lead you astray.

No father named for Mary Grout no1 ? I was hoping it might give you a clue.

If Mary Grout no2 and Jane (Grout) Smith were sisters, the daughter of William, have you been able to check of William's brothers or cousins children ? or that too far out on a limb of your tree ?

Anyway, the Purris variation might help with finding them in 1841. ooh, I just found an ancestry tree for Rebecca Sophia Purvis - without a sub it only shows a marriage in "Mayo" and death in Worcestershire. Maybe they were all in Ireland for the 1841 census ?, cause they are just not showing up in London !

Di

Last edited by marquette; 11-03-11 at 09:05.
Old 11-03-11, 09:34

THat tree has Rebecca marrying John Frederick Feeney in 1833 in Mayo, if that's any help.
Old 11-03-11, 09:36

Has to be her. the second child is Peregrine Mulgrove Feeney...neat.....lol
Old 11-03-11, 09:48
Administrator

Thanks Libby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
No father named for Mary Grout no1 ? I was hoping it might give you a clue.

If Mary Grout no2 and Jane (Grout) Smith were sisters, the daughter of William, have you been able to check of William's brothers or cousins children ? or that too far out on a limb of your tree ?

Anyway, the Purris variation might help with finding them in 1841. ooh, I just found an ancestry tree for Rebecca Sophia Purvis - without a sub it only shows a marriage in "Mayo" and death in Worcestershire. Maybe they were all in Ireland for the 1841 census ?, cause they are just not showing up in London !

Di
No father's name for Mary grout 1 because the marriage is before 1837.

I only found out William Grout's name yesterday, and I don't know where he was born except in Herts, so it might be difficult to find his siblings and their descendants. I don't know yet how they fit into my tree, except for Jane Grout marring a son of my 3xg-grandfather. I'm sure there will be more to it than that though, as this is part of the Maynard web which involves lots of confusing intermarrying across families and across the miles, a bit like some people called Ariel

Very interesting about the Mayo marriage. I've only just taken in that Peregrine and his son were seriously rich. The other Purvis's I've identified in this photo album were shoemakers and Peregrine's father was a tailor, so I guess he is the only one who made a stash. His son, Peregrine, who was b in 1845 never married and his housekeeper for 20+ years was my great-great aunt, so now I'm wondering if he left her anything? I can't see if she herself left a will because she died in 1910 and the NPI has 1910 and 1911 missing on Ancestry

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-11, 09:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Has to be her. the second child is Peregrine Mulgrove Feeney...neat.....lol
He's not in my album! lolol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-11, 10:14
Administrator

Here is Peregrine Hogg Purvis, in case seeing him gives you a vibe about his wives! lol

Old 11-03-11, 10:31

He could have been good at something..............or just seriously rich...lol

I found some Ariels in Dublin actually, but thought I'd keep them to myself for a while Merry.......just spring them out one day when I'm bored.....lol
Old 11-03-11, 11:30
tenterfieldjulie

Run Everyone.
Old 11-03-11, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Here is Peregrine Hogg Purvis, in case seeing him gives you a vibe about his wives! lol
He looks as if he's constipated or contemplating his piles.
Old 12-03-11, 00:09
Administrator

*ignores UJ*

Re finding brothers of Wm Grout in case any of them were the father of the 1st Mary Grout...............

William Grout was a harness maker b abt 1770 in Hertfordshire. I thought I'd found a son of his called Charles b abt 1810 in Enfield Middlesex, because he was a master saddle and harness maker in 1851.

However, when I looked at his marriage cert on the LMA records I saw his father is Thomas Grout, saddler. I'm thinking maybe Thomas might be a brother to William (Charles was resident in Chipping Barnet Herts on his marriage cert to Ann Garrett),

I'm particularly wondering if Charles may have had a sister who was the first Mrs Purvis. These are the witnesses to his marriage (1842 at MEOT St Peter)

Mary Grout (not another one!)
Ann Garrett (mother of the bride - she is with the family in 1851)
Jane Grout (could be my Jane who married George Smith the following year)
Margaret Purvis (who is she?)
?? Grout (this is the same sig that looked like Mrs Grout when witnessing the marriage of Peregrine H Purvis and the first Mary Grout in 1832.)