Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-04-16, 10:12
Administrator

There are a couple of entries here that might be brother Frederick, but I couldn't find any records for the 1880s.

http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org....S_1800_2000_H4

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-04-16, 15:13

Merry, you're a very clever girl. I think that is Percy in 1891, and it's 11 not 4, but because of the way the enumerator has struck through the box, it makes it look a bit like a 4. His name is above Fred's, suggesting he is older.

EDIT: Also, I've found another relative (different family) on the Chertsey Workhouse Union link you provided. What are the chances?

Thanks, Merry!

Last edited by James18; 12-04-16 at 15:17.
Old 12-04-16, 16:58

Still no ideas about George Frederick Hodgson Horne? I'm not convinced it's the same person, although obviously anything is possible.

Percy was registered as George Percy, and later switched to Percival George.
Old 12-04-16, 17:05
Administrator

There's an entry on fmp in the National School Admission Registers & Log-books 1870-1914 for Frederick in 1891 for this school:

Windsor Street Church of England / Council School, Chertsey (infants)
His seems to be the only entry on the page with no dates or any other info such as father's name etc

There are two entries for Percy in the same database (same school) for 1887.

In the first case the entry above Percy's has the date 19 Sept 1887 but there are no dittos for him or the following couple of entries to the bottom of the page. His father's name is given as George and his address as Pyrcroft Road. His dob is given as 9 Nov 1880. Date of leaving 13 Feb 1888.

The second entry is dated 29 Feb 1887 has dob 9 Oct 1880 and no father's name or address. The leaving date is the same as the other entry - 13 Feb 1888.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-04-16, 17:29

That's probably him then, Merry. His birth was registered Q4 1880. Well done!
Old 12-04-16, 18:53
Administrator

There's a Frederick Horne who died in WW1 30 Oct 1914. He was a rifleman (number 429) in the 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own). That's from fmp Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919.

He enlisted in Chertsey in April 1904 and Chertsey is also given as his place of birth in the UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929. The same document gives his widow's name as Thirza Jane and that there were no children.

Thirza and Frederick are together on the 1911 census in Chobham. He says he is 25 and now says he is born in Esher. Esher is in Kingston district and there are no Frederick Hornes registered there so I'm wondering if this is Percy's brother? Thirza has also underestimated her age saying she is 26 when she was actually 28 or 29.

here is their marriage:

Marriages Jun 1907

FOSTER Thir__ Jane Kingston 2a 742
HORNE Frederick Kingston 2a 742

Old 12-04-16, 19:44

Oh dear, another family with multiple brothers dying in the Great War?
Old 12-04-16, 20:48

Hmm, now here's a curious thing. I was going through FreeBMD and Percy's 1911 census trying to confirm who his children were, and after Arthur D (born 1910) - the last child on the census - I noticed this birth entry:

Births Jun 1912

Horne Evelyn M A Montgomery Chertsey 2a 121

Montgomery is the maiden name of Percy's first wife, known variously as Eleanor, Ellen, Annette, Annettie and Nellie Montgomery. So, obviously my first thought was, is Evelyn their last child together? Eleanor died in 1913, and Percy re-married in 1915 and was killed in 1917.

Luckily, Evelyn's baptism record is on Ancestry, and it gives her parents as Percival William and Annette Horne. (It's transcribed as Lounette, but I think it is Annette).

I'm sure this is probably just a mistake on the baptism entry, but what do we think? My first thought was that this is very likely Percy's youngest child with his first wife. Their eldest son - a child in 1912 - was named Percival William.

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm not sure what happened to Arthur or Evelyn. There is an Arthur Dennis Horne who died in 1963, but he was born in 1900.

Ah, I think this might be Evelyn. Just need to find the corresponding marriage.

Last edited by James18; 12-04-16 at 21:04.
Old 12-04-16, 21:26

Okay, that's a Betty E M Richardson, married Charles B Chapman in 1935. They're in Croydon on the 1939 Register.

I can't find a birth entry for a Betty E M Richardson; the nearest is Betty E Richardson b. Sep 1912 in Devonport.

However... I don't know what the story is with Percy & Annette's children after she died. He re-married and had another son, but I very much doubt his first wife's children went with them because after Percy died she re-married and had 12 children with her second husband, and they brought up Percy's son with her.

Could be I am barking up the wrong tree with Betty E M Richardson, but I was thinking Betty = Annette?, E = Evelyn... could be nothing, obviously. I can't find a marriage or death for her under Horne, though.
Old 12-04-16, 21:50

Surrey baptism records for Percival William, Ronald Kenneth, Arthur Douglas and Evelyn Mabel Annette are available on Ancestry, which also provide dates of birth. Frederick Leslie - Percy's son with Annie Hale - does not have a baptism record, sadly.

Douglas has a 1930 regimental roll on Ancestry, which makes me wonder if he was killed in the Second World War, as that would explain why he doesn't have a record of death. Of course, he could have left the country and not returned.

Hopefully the dates of birth will make tracing them a bit easier.