Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-07-15, 19:40

Smile Holden Family of Darwen/Blackburn Lancs

Hi - am looking for information about the Holden family from Blackburn/Darwen area. My father Roger Holden lived at Noble Street as a lad and at Cobden Street with his wife Margery and daughter aged 2. He worked at India Mill. They emigrated to New Zealand in 1954. All I know to date is my father had 2 brothers, Philip and Edward. One sister called Mary E, married to a Bennett. My fathers father was Edward married to an Ann Winifrid Hefferen (???) and was a cotton mill fireman. He died approx 1939(?) they married about 1913 and her name is listed as Hepperan(?). Would be wonderful if anyone has info about this elusive side of my family. Mum and Dad have both passed away and sadly so have their stories. Many Thanks
Old 14-07-15, 19:56

Hello Luloo and welcome to the forum.

The information you seek is too recent for my own research - I rarely research forward from about 1920 - but I will send you a pm (private message) with a link to a Darwen FH forum. Someone on there may know of your family. the forum is not a busy one so you may have to wait a few days for a response!

OC
Old 14-07-15, 20:07

Thank you very much. I'm working on Edwards birth date possibly around 1883 and Ann Hefferen about 1892.
Old 14-07-15, 20:46

I've sent you a pm.

I have found five children to the marriage.

1913 WA, mmn Heffearn
1916 ME mmn Heffren married Bennett 1942
1919 E mmn Hefferen
1922 P mmn Hefferson
1926 R mmn Hefferen.

I can't locate a birth for Ann Hefferen and I can't single out a birth for Edward. I think you will have to get the marriage cert for their father's names otherwise it's just a guessing game. However, both Edward and Ann should be on the 1911 - Ann will be easier to find I think!

OC
Old 14-07-15, 21:14
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Luloo,

Ann Hefferen/ran etc sounds like an Irish name.

You will definitely need to purchase a copy of the 1913 marriage cert to establish more about this couple. The certificate will give their father's names and occupations, which should help trace them at an earlier date.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-07-15, 21:31
Administrator

You can order a copy of the certificate through Lancs BMD:

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/...nty=lancashire

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-07-15, 21:35

Hold fire for a little whi;e though, as someone on the Darwen forum has access to St John registers (or did have)

OC
Old 14-07-15, 21:40

Thank you both for your help. I think your suggestions of getting their marriage cert is the best way to get beyond this bump in the road. Hopefully I'll get some more names to search by. The dates for their children look really good and I can just remember some of their spouses names so that should marry them up nicely. Once again, thanks (it's a long way from New Zealand to try and get info so your help is very much appreciated)
Old 14-07-15, 21:41

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Hold fire for a little whi;e though, as someone on the Darwen forum has access to St John registers (or did have)

OC
Okay
Old 14-07-15, 22:08

Did you send the pm? I may have missed it as I am still trying to navigate myself around this site, sorry !! (oh dear!!)