Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-06-11, 16:50

For reference (to save duplicated efforts):

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...illiam-Hairyes
Old 30-06-11, 17:22
Administrator

Thanks for that, Mary.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-06-11, 17:24

Default william hairyes

thanks i havent got 1847 marriage certificate but it states fathers ag.labourer on the 2 ceritficates i have.ive been trying a couple of sites and theve been really helpful but still no one has had any luck finding william srn or his wife,i appreciate your effots.
Old 30-06-11, 17:24
Administrator

Zoe, maybe you need to review the information you have posted here, following your long thread on Family Tree Forum. Sadly I cannot re-access that thread now I've looked at it once, as I am not a member of that forum.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-06-11, 17:41

Default william hairyes

i know william srn worked as a lawyer but it may have been a spelling error,and farm laborer .but as i stated earlier the family tree forum could not locate william snr or his wife ,they helpful in other ways,,i apoligise if ihavent remmbered all of the information in my original request here,i also didnt think id get a reply if my request was too large. it was in desperation having the failure family tree forum to locate william srn that i came here. do you think you can still try and look for him please or a wife,thanks
Old 30-06-11, 17:46
Administrator

It seems unlikely he would be a lawyer as well as farm labourer, more likely it was supposed to say Sawyer. If you can get a copy of the first marriage certificate, there will be witnesses' names and it is more likely that the witnesses at that first marriage might be William's relatives (or at least one of them) which might help us to look for the right family for him.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-06-11, 18:13

Default william hairyes

thanks, i didnt realize relatives were wittness, but overall it seams im exactly the same postion i was before. can you check the baptismans for william jrn in thirsk parish for me? i have no idea how to do it myself,then if theres no william there i will puchase another marraige certificate.
Old 30-06-11, 18:27
Administrator

Witnesses can be anyone, but are often relatives.

Parish register records for Thirsk for the period you need are held at the North Yorkshire County Record Office.

Old 30-06-11, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Zoe, maybe you need to review the information you have posted here, following your long thread on Family Tree Forum. Sadly I cannot re-access that thread now I've looked at it once, as I am not a member of that forum.
Sorry, I didn't realise that - I assumed that non-members could view but not post.

Let me know if you want me to re-post anything.

Some of the marriages and baptisms are in the new W. Yorks records on Ancestry (with images).

The main problem is that we can't find a baptism for William born c. 1831. My guess is that he was baptised in the Balk area, although for some reason he gives Scotland and "at sea" as his birthplace in later censuses.

However, there appears to be no church in Balk, and the baptisms for Thirsk, Kirby Knowle and Bagby, which are nearby, are on the IGI, but William doesn't appear (I checked all the Williams baptised in those parishes around 1831, in case he was mistranscribed, but I still didn't find him).

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-06-11 at 20:51.
Old 30-06-11, 18:45
Administrator

Quote:
on the marriage certifcates he has fathers name william hairyes fathers profession lawer and agg lab
Is the father's details the same on all four certs?

Thanks for the offer, Mary! Do you know how accurate his age is over the years? I looked at the 1851, 61 and 71 censuses, but had to use FMP not Ancestry so the transcript spellings of his surnamewere different making it a bit longwinded! From memory he was 27, 30 and 37 on those three. Do you have his death on FTF? (sorry to be a pain)