Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-07-16, 08:27
Administrator

Sorry but I'm not clear why you say that the two Margarets are different people? She could have married John Sammon and then married George Meskill, or not actually legally married George Meskill at all. I don't think George Archer actually existed - as I have already said several times, they probably put down "George" as it was the first name of the foster father (George Meskill) and "Archer" because it was Rose's surname.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-07-16, 11:19

I think you will find that Margaret Maloney b. 1836 and Margaret Meskill b. 1831 were two different people. Margaret Maloney died in 1902 in Eganville, Renfrew and Margaret Meskill died August 24, 1904 also in Renfrew. I've not been able to find a marriage record for the Meskill's and suspect they married in Ireland prior to coming to Canada. In the 1871 census we have George and Margaret along with a three year old son and six Sammon children that range in age from 14 to 5. Right next door lives John Sammon b. 1844 in Ontario. Patrick Sammon b. 1816 in Ireland, Catherine Sammon b. 1855 in Ontario. Okay, now I'm confused !! This is the 1871 census and yet records show that Margaret Maloney married John Sammon in about 1860. Have to rethink all this.
Old 15-07-16, 13:42
Administrator

Where have you found the 1902 Eganville death, please? What surname is it listed under?

Also, where did you find John Sammon and Margaret Maloney's marriage? I can see some records relating to their children, giving those names for their parents, but can't find the actual marriage.

Old 15-07-16, 14:47

The death and marriage of Margaret Maloney was on an Ancestry family tree, paulagarner89012. How accurate the information is is debatable. I did find in the 1861 census that John Salmon (Sammon) was living with his father, also John Salmon b. Ireland and 41 years old. In the same household was Margaret Salmon b. in Ireland and 25. John Salmon b. Canada, 20 years old. Mary, b. Canada, 17. Daniel, b. Canada 5. Bridget b. Canada 3 and James b. Canada 2. The three children, Daniel, Bridget and James are three of the Sammon children living with the Meskills in the 1871 census plus three other Sammon children, Annie, age 10, Thomas age 7 and Michael age 5.
Still trying to sort it all out and there are a number of Salmon families living in close proximity in the 1861 census but no sign of the Meskill family.
Old 15-07-16, 14:58
Administrator

Oh, right. If the family tree doesn't have exact dates or links to records then the information is probably just guesswork. It certainly looks to me as though Margaret Maloney, Margaret Salmon / Sammon and Margaret / Maggie Meskill are all the same person.