Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-01-21, 09:47

Default Leaving school

I was hoping to find out where my mother was in service in Yorkshire in 1921 but suddenly realised I don't know when she left school was it before or after the census.

She was 14 in Nov 1920 but did she leave just after her birthday, Easter or Summer 1921.

Can someone tell me what was the census date for 1921and what the usual leaving school time was.

Thank you
Old 06-01-21, 10:52
Administrator

The census was taken on 19th June 1921. I don't know when people would have left school in those days but am guessing that she could have left before the end of the school year.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-01-21, 11:03

My late mil was born in 1909 and was in service well before her 14th birthday. I think maybe a blind eye was turned in some cases, my mil was certainly better off being in service than living at home and still (maybe) going to school.

OC
Old 06-01-21, 12:26

Mum confidently told her friends at the end of the spring term that she'd be back after Easter, but she wasn't.

Education was of no use to girls. I imagine a boy might stay on to pass an exam if it might be useful, but in general, you were thrust out to work as soon as you could.
Old 06-01-21, 13:19

Thanks everyone - so there's possibly a chance that she has left school and moved to Yorkshire by the census date - crossed fingers.

She didn't take any exams but did end up as a primary school teacher for over 20 years until she retired aged 68 (lied about her age lol).
Old 06-01-21, 22:17

I've been googling, lol.

The school leaving age was raised from 12 to 14 in 1918 - but the law was not implemented till 1921.

OC
Old 07-01-21, 12:55

Thanks OC.

Could well have joined an older sister in Service in Yorkshire straight after leaving school - will just have to wait with fingers crossed.

I know at a later date the sister was working at a Hotel in Harrogate but my Mum said she worked in a big house.
Old 07-01-21, 14:23

JBee

That is exactly what my late mil did, joined an older sister in service, in Yorkshire!

OC
Old 07-01-21, 14:27

Wonder if it was the same place lol.
Old 07-01-21, 15:26

Probably not, JBee. My mil came from a very large, very poor family and the sister went to work for an elderly lady who recognised the need to give the child a chance, later taking on my mil as well. I was very critical when I hewrd my mil talk about this but she soon put me right, lol. She said it was the first time in her life that she had slept in a bed, let alone a clean one, had regular food, was taught how to wash herself and given clothes of her own. "And all I had to do in return was dust a few pretty ornaments".

Mil and her sister delayed their weddings for nearly 7 years because they did not want to leave her on her own.

OC