Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 09-12-20, 11:33

Default Chinese option

Was talking to someone yesterday whose friend is Chinese and was adopted and brought to UK and who is thinking of taking a DNA test.

The girl was abandoned so no clue as to her origins just that near Pakistan border but she would like to know her roots and if she has any siblings (chinese one baby rule might be reason for abandonment).

I think a DNA test would only help if a relative took one too but given that its China I think it unlikely anyone would do so.

I can't think of anything to help this girl
Old 09-12-20, 11:40

An ex neighbour adopted a chinese baby, also abandoned. DNA showed 50% Chinese, 50% Japanese. Has recently found through DNA, a half brother. Your friend may never find anything - but has to be worth a shot.

OC
Old 09-12-20, 11:45

Do you know if the half brother was Chinese or Japanese - I think its more likely a result if Japanese.
Old 09-12-20, 11:47
maggie_4_7

Its worth it even for a clue to ethnicity.

If it was the border in the west its possible there is other substantial ethnic mix but not likely Japanese I wouldn't think.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 09-12-20 at 11:49.
Old 09-12-20, 12:31

Not sure what his ethnicity is, but he also was adopted by a European couple, through the same agency and it looks like they share a mother.

I watched a programme about babies with Chinese heritage being adopted. Let's just say, attitudes have moved on a bit now and some babies who were "abandoned" weren't and there is some paperwork regarding their mothers at least.

OC
Old 14-12-20, 12:46

Were the US military in or near China at any point? I seem to remember reading something about a lot of children wanting to find their roots as they were of mixed heritage and adopted and wanted to find their chinese roots. So definitely worth a shot in my opinion.

I'd do an ancestry test and upload to the other sites to cover as many bases as possible
Old 14-12-20, 12:59

I should have said - this baby was born and adopted in Hong Kong. I don't think babies who were born inside communist China ever came up for adoption - or did they? Anyone know?

OC
Old 14-12-20, 13:09

I was told this girl was abandoned in rural China and the nearest border was Pakistan - how close I have no idea.

How she was adopted i have no idea and nor does her friend as far as I know. She understands from her friend that as a baby she was just abandoned and then found and put in an orphanage.
Old 15-12-20, 14:00

I have a small amount of Chinese ancestry (between 5 and 8 percent) courtesy of a Chinese great-great-grandmother, and have had no matches at all from China. The very few I have who also have Chinese heritage all have western names. Whether this is helpful at all, I'm not sure