Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 20-06-13, 19:56
Administrator

Thumbs up Finally found my grandfather's sibling!

Back when the 1911 census first went online, I saw that my great-grandmother had put that she had given birth to 3 children, 2 of whom were still living. Nobody in my family knew anything about the other child, and since my great-grandparents got married in 1899, that gave me a long period to search through for the birth and death. With a surname like Bristow and not knowing whether s/he was born in Hampstead, Hackney, Islington, Pancras, or some other district of London, or anywhere else, and a lack of baptisms for this family, all I really had to go on was the likelihood that s/he would have at least one middle name, and more likely two or three, like the other children. I did once find a very likely name and ordered the birth certificate, only to find that she belonged to a completely different family. I couldn't find any other very likely names who couldn't be ruled out by finding their baptism or census entry, so I was stuck for a long time, expecting it to be solved one day when the GRO released their new birth index with mother's maiden name for pre-1911 births. (Then they cancelled that.)

Then - Shona asked for help finding the missing children from a 1911 census entry. I got nowhere with that, but it reminded me that I should go back and try to solve my own 1911 census puzzle again since so much more has gone online since last time I tried. Also I now know that my 2x-g-grandfather had a house in Sandown on the Isle of Wight, and that my great-grandmother's sister and brother-in-law are buried at Sandown, so I had the idea of looking for a Bristow death on the Isle of Wight - and I found him!!! Douglas Robert M Bristow, died Jul-Sep 1906 Isle of Wight, age 0. Checked for his birth registration and it was Apr-Jun 1906 Hackney. Isle of Wight BMD narrowed the place of death down to Brading sub-district. Then I looked on the Isle of Wight Family History Society website at their burials and monumental inscriptions database, and it had his burial - Douglas Robert Malcolm Bristow, born 9 May 1906, died 11 Aug 1906, buried 15 Aug 1906 at Christ Church, Sandown, section 8, plot 235. Address Clyde Villa, Station Ave. That definitely confirms it is my family because that's my 2xg-grandfather's house, with his initials on it (we had a look at it from outside once when we were on holiday on the I o W.)
So - I'm now waiting for the birth and death certificates to arrive!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-06-13, 20:07

Kate, it's so satisfying when you find a detail like this. No wonder you are chuffed. It proves that you just have to keep beavering away.
Old 20-06-13, 22:43
tenterfieldjulie

Kate, so delighted for you.. You find so much for others (I know how much you have found for me) that we are all delighted when you are able to dismantle a brick wall of your own, or at least a stumbling block lol .. Julie
Old 21-06-13, 20:41
Administrator

Well done, Kate!

I have a similar scenario with a missing dec'd child for my great-great-grandparents, but no luck in finding him or her yet.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-06-13, 07:29

Well Done Kate. Really pleased for you. hopefully one day, I'll break down a few brick walls that I have too.