Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 21-12-11, 11:28

Default 1911 Census, disclosure of information - findmypast

On 4th January we shall be able to see the sensitive information previously censored:

"It’s almost time to find out how your ancestors filled in the ‘infirmity‘ column in the 1911 census. On 4 January 2012, the Information Commissioner’s 100 year restriction on publishing this potentially sensitive information is lifted and you can search the 1911 census on findmypast.co.uk for fresh information to add to your family tree.
Unredacted 1911 census information revealed on findmypast.co.uk
For the first time, the original census images will show you if your ancestors recorded the details of your family’s illnesses and conditions and the age at which these began. This can provide a revealing insight into the previously censored health of your family in 1911, as well as your ancestors’ views of their relations’ wellbeing.

On the census transcriptions, you’ll also be able to see any recorded details of children born to women in prison who were aged three or under at the time of the census."

4 January 2012 will be the first time that this information is published online and findmypast.co.uk is the only place to view it.
Old 21-12-11, 13:18
Administrator

Interesting, but I wonder why findmypast will be the only place to view it? Are they not going to let people view it on the 1911 census site or Genes Reunited? And won't ancestry and The Genealogist be able to show it?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-12-11, 13:49

If FMP paid for all the initial filming (and micromanaging blocking out sections on each page) they probably have the original images, while others currently just have the copies. Doubtless in time, once they have recouped the additional cost, everyone will have the original images.

I've only seen one image where it was absolutely obvious that someone did have a disability, known in the family as Cripple John.

I can't wait!
Old 21-12-11, 14:20

*humph*

I've just let my FMP sub lapse as from today.

With moving house very soon I don't think I'll have the time for research so have let both that and Ancestry lapse until I start again.

I'll just have to look when I do have the time.
Old 21-12-11, 19:57

I wonder if the full image will be available in the Local Library?

If so, I will be going there to check out the images!

Les
Old 21-12-11, 22:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If FMP paid for all the initial filming (and micromanaging blocking out sections on each page) they probably have the original images, while others currently just have the copies. Doubtless in time, once they have recouped the additional cost, everyone will have the original images.
Brightsolid (the company who owns FMP) had it first, yes, but they also own the 1911 census site (which had the images first) and GR so I don't understand why the full images won't be on those sites too, especially the 1911 census site. You can use the same credits on both FMP and the 1911 census site so I can't see why they wouldn't put the full images on the 1911 census site.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-12-11, 12:15
Joy Dean

It has to be on all sites that have the 1911 census surely; and that would be the original one - http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/....aspx?r=24&101 = "The 1911 census information will be released in full on 3 January, 2012, in accordance with the ruling of the Information Commissioner’s Office. On this date the redaction will be reversed and you will be able to see the documents in full." plus find my past, the genealogist, and ancestry.
Old 22-12-11, 13:10

If you have already paid to see an image, would you automatically be able to see the previously hidden stuff? Or would you be expected to pay again?
Old 22-12-11, 13:12
Joy Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn the Forest Fan View Post
If you have already paid to see an image, would you automatically be able to see the previously hidden stuff? Or would you be expected to pay again?
I am sure I read somewhere that one would not have to pay again. We shall find out on the 3rd of next month I am just checking the saved searches in http://www.1911census.co.uk/ to see who I first saw in 2009.

Last edited by Joy Dean; 22-12-11 at 13:25.
Old 22-12-11, 13:29

I am not expecting to find anything new, but will be very peeved if I am expected to pay again!