Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 16-01-12, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
This was in the 1950's and both grandma and great grandma were registered to vote. For some reason both their husband's were registered to vote in 2 places. Very strange.
They probably had a business vote which entitled them to vote in the place where they traded as well as where they lived. I've found quite a few like that.
Old 17-01-12, 01:11

Thanks Ann. That would make sense.

I wonder what they did, as there are others registered there. I had assumed it was a residential place.

My great grandfather was in his early 70s. I had thought he would have retired. Goes to show you shouldn't assume.

oh well, another call to Dad.

Edit: Dad isn't home. He will get a lovely message from me with the baby screaming at his brother in the background.

Last edited by Kit; 17-01-12 at 01:15.
Old 17-01-12, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Thanks Ann. That would make sense.

I wonder what they did, as there are others registered there. I had assumed it was a residential place.

My great grandfather was in his early 70s. I had thought he would have retired. Goes to show you shouldn't assume.

oh well, another call to Dad.

Edit: Dad isn't home. He will get a lovely message from me with the baby screaming at his brother in the background.
Kit. Some years the registers show the home address of the person with a business vote. That's how I know for certain that some of these people are my rellies....because I've got their home address already, either from the census or parish registers. I think you must be talking about later years though; mine are all in the 1890s and early 1900s so I'm lucky that I've got census records to check against. Try Googling the address as you may strike lucky and find something that tells you what it was. I've found my gt gt uncle's tailoring business like that - there's even a photo of the building in 1907!
Old 18-01-12, 08:29

Dad rang me this morning. He says his grandfather didn't work that he remembers but he does think that he owned 2 properties. He is going to check a map and see what the address is, to see if it is the address I have.

The address I did know about for my great grandparents is interesting. It was an appartment but Dad thinks it could be worth a lot now. Shame it's not still in the family.

I will google though to see what they look like. Thanks Ann.