Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 04-11-11, 19:13
maggie_4_7

Hoooray
Old 04-11-11, 19:17

Can you do a name search of the Parish Registers before you buy a subscription? My Weeley Margerums don't appear anywhere when I search, so I don't want to waste money on a subscription if I can't see names first.
Old 04-11-11, 19:26
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyPusey View Post
Can you do a name search of the Parish Registers before you buy a subscription? My Weeley Margerums don't appear anywhere when I search, so I don't want to waste money on a subscription if I can't see names first.
I must admit I can't find anywhere other than this original search box that I have used but I don't know if they have all the images of the results!

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.a...&SearchType=11

Someone might have found a better search function its a bit unwealdy as a site to be honest.

Edit: you might want to read this thread before doing anything

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ad.php?t=12320

Just in case people come here they will miss that information.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 04-11-11 at 19:30.
Old 04-11-11, 19:30
Administrator

It doesn't look like it, Wendy. I was expecting the whole site to be replaced with a shiny new all-singing all-dancing state-of-the-art 21st century-type site, but as far as I can see, all they've done is add more images (well, o.k., including some wills, which I think you can search by name if I ever find where to do it) and make us pay to view them, even the ones that were free before? And it doesn't even show which images are available on the main list! It reminds me of using 1837 online in its very early days, or or Stepping Stones, , or another site whose name escapes me but was something to do with Genealogy, the one that used to have the Index to Death Duty Registers before findmypast took them over.

What's more - I tried to register and it said there was already a user with my email address, so I must have registered before, so how come I haven't had an email to say it's launched?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-11-11, 19:32
Administrator

Yikes, I've just seen the prices!

Length of subscription Price
1 Day (24 hours) £5.00
1 Week (7 days) £15.00
1 month (30 days) £25.00
6 months (182 days) £50.00
1 year (365 days) £75.00

That's outrageous!

Old 04-11-11, 19:33
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It doesn't look like it, Wendy. I was expecting the whole site to be replaced with a shiny new all-singing all-dancing state-of-the-art 21st century-type site, but as far as I can see, all they've done is add more images (well, o.k., including some wills, which I think you can search by name if I ever find where to do it) and make us pay to view them, even the ones that were free before? And it doesn't even show which images are available on the main list! It reminds me of using 1837 online in its very early days, or or Stepping Stones, , or another site whose name escapes me but was something to do with Genealogy, the one that used to have the Index to Death Duty Registers before findmypast took them over.

What's more - I tried to register and it said there was already a user with my email address, so I must have registered before, so how come I haven't had an email to say it's launched?
Its run by the council what do you expect.

I had the same message I had obviously registered before and forgot because you don't need to log in to search
Old 04-11-11, 19:35

I've registered (years ago apparently!) but don't have a sub as yet and just went round in circles - not sure if thats because I don't have a sub or it's a glitch.

Have you seen my thread on general? not all the registers are included yet - Weeley registers after 1837 aren't available yet.
Old 04-11-11, 19:42
Administrator

I'm mostly interested in pre-1837 stuff anyway, Sue. I've managed to subscribe and now it keeps telling me I haven't got cookies enabled so I can't view anything! I'm sure cookies must be enabled or nothing else I go on would work, so I'll try some other browsers. It'll be really annoying if I have to email them for help and wait till next week for a reply.

Old 04-11-11, 19:45

One lady on Rootschat has paid a sub and says its not working.
Old 04-11-11, 19:50
Administrator

Oh, I tell a lie - I can view the images but only so tiny that I can't make anything out! If I click to enlarge them, that's when I get the message about cookies. On two browsers so far...