Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-01-10, 23:18

Sadly I don't think we will ever understand how those boys/men suffered during the war. They were so young, given guns, told to kill and saw horrendous things.

I know it was nothing like what those men experienced but I went into shock after seeing Saving Private Ryan at the movies. It was the most graphic war movie I had seen. They suffered a lot worse, for a lot longer than the 2 hours I watched. The mental scarring would have been awful, add a physical injury and who knows how anyone would react?
Old 29-01-10, 06:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan of Archives View Post
Well there you go Stella, have you looked for a service record on Ancestry for the other brother at all? Unfortunately most of my family seem to be the unlucky ones that were destroyed by fire
I couldn't see an army record for Charles on Ancestry. He was b about 1881/1882 in Ilkley. Of course there were two Charles Wrights b there according to the 1901, but I think Stella's one was plain Charles and the other man was Charles Marshall Wright (only because the one who died in 1919 didn't have a middle name.) Charles M Wright is on the 1911 census, but I can't see Charles Wright on that one at the moment.

In 1901 Charles Wright is a farm servant in West Derby and Charles M Wright is a plasterer in Harrogate (his entry says Ilkley, Surrey for place of birth, but the transcriber read the wrong bit lol)

Stella could you confirm which one is yours? Needless to say, there's only one Charles Wright b in Ilkley in 1891! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-01-10, 06:17
Administrator

Next episode should be before lunchtime!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-01-10, 08:25
Stella

Merry, I haven't done much research on the Wrights simply because they are my late father's family and after Mum divorced my father I had little contact with them - also I haven't got Ancestry at the moment. All I do know is my grandmother Wright (Mabel Clifford) came from Derbyshire - Duffield I believe. I have ben concentrating on my mother's line - back to the 1700s.
Old 29-01-10, 08:33
Stella

I think at this rate I am going to have to subscribe to Ancestry again. I am intrigued about Hester the sister of Richard's who had been in a lunatic asylum for years. Such as how old she was when she went in there, was she married and perhaps suffering from post-natal depression, etc and which asylum she was in - oh dear, questions, questions.
Old 29-01-10, 08:44
Administrator

Stella, do you know if these are the parents of Robert, Richard, Hester and Charles etc?

Marriages Jun 1868
Evans Eliza Hester Halifax 9a 602 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Riley Emma Halifax 9a 602
Woodhead Edward Halifax 9a 602
Wright William Halifax 9a 602 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Old 29-01-10, 08:46

Stella

If you want to send me a few details on the family I have Ancestry and FMP including the 1911. I don't mind having a rummage.
Old 29-01-10, 08:53
Administrator

Marg, I am struggling with the lot of them in 1911.

I notice dad Wm had a new wife in 1901 and 1st wife Eliza Hester died in 1895, so I guess that's the right marriage I found on a previous post. (I was trying to find the other Charles in 1891 in the hope his mmn would turn out to be Marshall so I could def eliminate Charles Marshall Wright from our enquiries, but it's not happening.) I looked at Wright's living in Ilkley in 1881 in case both sets of parents were there then, but the only other couple are Thomas and Adelaide Victoria who I have found in 1891 but they only had a son called Clarence same age as Charles would have been and Adelaide's maiden name seems to have been Watson, so no lose ends tied up there!

Maybe you could look at the household of Charles Marshall Wright in 1911 to see if he has his aging parent at home so I can cross him off for good? lol

Have to go out soon....

Old 29-01-10, 08:58

OK Merry

Will do it in a little while.
Old 29-01-10, 09:23
Stella

Richard's parents were William Wright born 1844 in Yorkshire and Eliza born 1850 in Southampton, that is all the info I have.