Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-11-17, 09:51

Default 1939 Register

To open a closed record - can you use the link on any page?

On each link, it says (something like) " person on this page is now deceased so their record should be open", but on opening the link it seems to be a general form for anyone - not specific to that particular page.

The reason I am asking - the whole of my grandmother's family are locked, despite them all being long dead. I know exactly where they were living but obviously can't find any of them in the index to get to their page!

*Frustrated*
Old 05-11-17, 10:22

If you go to opening page of the register and click on advanced search. Put in the road and
Borough/District (if a village you need to know the district) Search. Click on anyone's name and check their no . You might need to keep doing this til you get the odd or even no. Open the image and scroll left or right to get to the right page.

There's probably a quicker way - someone here will shout out - but this works for me
Old 05-11-17, 11:00

Brilliant Kat! Worked perfectly.
Luckily their next door neighbours in 1970 were there in 1939, so that was easy!!

(And I can see the bottom of my mum's name peeping out from under the closed bit)
Old 05-11-17, 13:46

I have a problem with 1939 in that my mum was living in at Addenbrooke's hospital, Cambridge as a trainee nurse but because I can't pinpoint her they won't open the record - in other words they don't search the register for you. I can see her best friend Nora though - not that that helps! I can see this as a problem with any institution. You should be able to get that one open now. Good Luck!