Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-07-12, 18:55

Peter - thanks for the new information. In case you hadn't worked it out, Chipping S is Chipping Sodbury. I've had a look on the Gloucestershire BMD website but Chipping Sodbury doesn't seem to be there.

However, on ScotlandsPeople there is only one Marjorie Fairbrother death. By a process of elimination, she died in Cathcart, Glasgow in 1918 aged 11. That means she was born around 1907, confirming the birth you found.

Last edited by Uncle John; 03-07-12 at 18:58.
Old 03-07-12, 19:59

Thanks Kiterunner,

Uncle John:

Thank you.

I don't think anyone lived in Cathcart, but perhaps there was a hospital there. Is there some way to check for sure, eg a death certificate?

Arthur's children now look like this:

Gladys Nora
born Chipping S Jul-Sept 1900 v.6a p.252
died Partick, Glasgow 1958

Leslie Robert T
born Chipping S Oct-Dec 1904 v.6a p.249
died Chipping S Oct-Dec 1904 v.6a p.175

Marjorie Isabel
born Chipping S Jul-Sept 1906 v.6a p.255
died Cathcart, Glasgow in 1918 aged 11

Alan Charles Whitton Lydeard
born Row, Dumbarton, Scotland 10 Jan 1911
died Glasgow 19 July 1977

Colin Stevenson
born Row, Dumbarton, Scotland March 8 1912
died Chungking 4th Nov 1943 (not the 14th)

Only one more to find then - a boy who dies about age 5. I don't think he could have been born and died between the 1894 wedding and 1901 when you found Arthur back in England with Elizabeth and Gladys, though it is possible. More likely he was born in Helensburgh (Row parish, Dumbartonshire) about 1908. It's just possible he was another Leslie, but that's by no means certain.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to find out a bit more about Elizabeth Anne Smith, Arthur's wife, they married March 26 1894 in Cape Town South Africa? I think she was born in South Africa.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-12, 20:16

Uncle John - Chipping Sodbury got de-districted, if that's the word, in 1937. Most of the old records are probably held at Bristol nowadays
Old 04-07-12, 16:20

The Victoria Hospital (Vicky to its friends) probably falls in Cathcart. It's still a big district hospital. It will cost 6 credits on ScotlandsPeople (1 to find the reference and 5 to view the death register entry) to see the full details of Marjorie's death registration. Less than 2 pounds in total.

Thanks for your summary. I too found that Chipping Sodbury district got carved up. Some parts stayed in Gloucestershire but as you say the majority must have gone to Bristol.

Last edited by Uncle John; 04-07-12 at 16:22.
Old 04-07-12, 17:33

Incidentally, if you sign up for the Ancestral Scotland newsletter you can get 10 free credits for SP. http://www.ancestralscotland.com/newsletter/
Old 04-07-12, 18:24

That's a great site (Scotland's people), thanks!

I looked Marjorie up, and yes, that's definitely her. She was living at Queen's Gardens. which is nowhere near Cathcart, at the time.

However I also found yet another child from the 1911 census, Stella Grace She died aged 22 months April 13 1911 of meningitis. Can't find a birth for her in Scotland.

Update - Stella was born in England Sep 1909 Keynsham 5c 501. Also, the census entry says Elizabeth had had 5 children in 1911, four of them still living - that's Gladys,Leslie,Marjorie,Stella, Alan. Colin was born in 1912. Still looking for the missing boy who died aged about 5 though, who must have been born after 1912 - any idea how complete SP's records are?

I'm beginning to feel very sorry for Arthur and Elizabeth, with so many children dying. It may have been more usual then, but wow.

Last edited by pjlfairbrother; 04-07-12 at 20:01. Reason: update2
Old 05-07-12, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle John View Post
Incidentally, if you sign up for the Ancestral Scotland newsletter you can get 10 free credits for SP. http://www.ancestralscotland.com/newsletter/
Oh, really?!? I too will be looking into that. Thank you, UJ.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 05-07-12, 20:21

Peter, if you search the SP births for Fairbrother born 1910 to 1920 in all districts there are only 17 in the whole of Scotland. You get up to 25 on a page, so that's only one credit. If you restrict it to Dunbarton county, it comes down to 2, Colin and presumably the missing child. Looking at Fairbrother deaths 1910 to 1920, there are 9 in the whole of Scotland, which again is only 1 page. One will be Marjorie in Cathcart, and you should be able to match the name of the other one.

That's one benefit of a relatively uncommon "English" surname in Scotland.

I have at least one family around that time with a similar high infant/child death rate. It is sad, though.
Old 05-07-12, 22:17

Uncle John, Thanks, I tried that. The two in Dumbarton are Alan and Colin.

There are a few possible candidates for "a boy who died around age 5" in the births list, but unfortunately those certs are not available as online images, cutoff date is 1911. None of the deaths seem to match either. Will try and check the "boy" story from sources again.

Just noticed, the 1911 census gives Eizabeth's age as 38, so she was born in 1872 or 1873. I don't know if this helps any, South African records seem to be quite hard to get.

Got a passel of certs on order, will let you know of anything interesting when they arrive. The GRO does seem to be quite slow though!

Yes, the high infant/child death rate is sad. Makes you grateful for modern medicine - it might have a lot wrong with it, but bringing that rate down to present levels is quite an achievement.
Old 05-07-12, 23:54

Uncle John,

Do you have a GRO for Elizabeth Lydiard's (1840-1914) birth? Death is as Sep 1914 Fairbrother Elizabeth 74 Bristol 6a 187, but I can't find a birth. Thx.

Also, how on earth did you trace Joseph Lidyard and Grace Walker?