Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 30-01-12, 22:41
Administrator

I seem to remember that you have to download those Scottish wills in sets of 2 pages, so are you sure there wasn't a button marked "View Page After (Paid)"?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 31-01-12, 17:44

Yes, now downloaded.......his son James is listed as his only son and heir. Seems John died 05.04.1842.
Old 31-01-12, 18:08
Administrator

I wonder if he could be Janet's brother rather than her father then. I'll see if I can find anything out.

Old 31-01-12, 20:22
Administrator

Ancestry has a transcription of a household at Ballanloan, Little Dunkeld, Perthshire, on the 1841 census, headed by John Robertson farmer age 85 with James age 55, Robert 25 William 15 Elizabeth 20 Susan 15 so I reckon that it is most likely the right John, and that James was his only son and maybe Janet had already had her share when she got married? I expect Robert, William etc are James's children.

Old 31-01-12, 23:01
Administrator

There are a few possible baptisms for James as we only have a very rough year of birth from the 1841 census. There is a will on Scotland's People for James Robertson farmer and grazier, sometime in Ballinloan, thereafter residing at Glenlyon House, 27 Mar 1848, so it doesn't look likely that we will find him on the 1851 census to get a better idea of when he was born. And I don't suppose his will would mention a sister if he had children.

Old 01-02-12, 11:16
Administrator

Ancestry has a database called Perth Newspaper Index Cards which I've never noticed before, and it has an entry for John Robertson's obituary - date of death 5th Apr 1842 age 89, Ballinloan, Strathbraan. Reference is PA 1842 Apr 7th page 2 column 7.

PA = Perthshire Advertiser.

Unfortunately the Perthshire Advertiser isn't included in the British Newspaper Archive or 19th century Newspapers Online but apparently microfilm copies are available for research at the AK Bell Library in Perth. Hopefully the obituary would say whether Janet was his daughter.

Old 01-02-12, 11:28
Administrator

The National Archives of Scotland online catalogue has an entry for GD57 Records of Messrs Burnett and Reid, Advocates, Aberdeen 1640-1880

Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Archives of Scotland
Reference GD57/1/308
Title Conditions of Let and Missive for the farm of Tullichmullin and Ardtrastert in parish of Fortingal to James and John Robertson residing in Ballinloan of Strathbrane
Dates 30 Apr 1842

Old 01-02-12, 14:00
Administrator

By the way, does the will that you downloaded make any reference to Hightown?

Old 01-02-12, 18:18

WOW thanks for all the info. May need to plan a trip to Scotland LOL. It will at least keep me busy. With regards the will, I just re-read it and cannot see any reference to Hightown. Reference is made to "John Archibald Drummond Stewart" and his heirs with regards payment of rent I think.
Old 01-02-12, 22:51
Administrator

I knew I'd thought of another idea while I was out, but when I got home I couldn't remember it! Now at last I remember what it was! This did come in useful for my tree, but like with the marriage, I can't say if it will be any help with yours without using SP credits.

Some Scottish baptism records have the names of witnesses on them, who are often relatives, so it could be that if you view the image of the baptism record for one (or more) of Donald and Janet's children, there might be a relative or two named in there. On the other hand, there might well not be. My Scottish ancestors came from Edinburgh and I found loads of witness names on their baptisms (I still haven't paid up to view all of the records yet! Must do some more some time) but I don't know whether there will be any in Perthshire.

Tags
to4g26