Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 29-05-11, 15:39
Administrator

That's horrible. Still not sure if it's your Robert or not! I would think that a lot of post offices were also grocers's shops, so it might be worth paying to download the will and see.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-05-11, 19:08
maggie_4_7

Yes I have just downloaded it and it is him.

I haven't got time to transcribe it but William Thomas Hoye and Elizabeth Williams Hoye are named in it.

I think he also names a wife Ann Wallis Hoye!!! The writing is atrocious but its a bit confusing because they've crossed wife out and then wrote it again... I think Ann may have been his second wife. I can't see where he has mentioned his younger son Robert but its confusing because its so bad to understand I'm not sure if its the deceased they're talking about or the son.

I'll have to spend a bit of time transcribing this I will post it when I have I'll do it tomorrow.

It does say Robert Hoye also known as Mackey!! I wonder where the name Mackey comes in.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 29-05-11 at 19:12.
Old 30-05-11, 11:08
maggie_4_7

I'm on the second sentence and I'm losing the will to live no pun intended some of the words don't even look like words that I know.
Old 30-05-11, 11:22
Administrator

Do you want to email it to me, Maggie, and I'll have a look at it? Let me know if you do and I'll PM you my email address.

Old 30-05-11, 11:35
maggie_4_7

Yes Kiterunner that would be a good idea but this is the beginning of it square brackets are words or word I cannot decipher this is the first bit I think thats explaining who is who and what name they will be known by in this document! There's another page to go.

In the Name of God this is my [ ] will and testament of Robert Hoye otherwise Robert Mackey but known to all [ ] by [ ] [ ] Robert Hoye [ ] [ ] bequeath all [ ] or [ ] (can’t read the rest of this sentence but it looks like an amount of money and then something else)…
… to my loving (they put wife here and crossed it out) and lawful wife Ann Walliss Mackey otherwise Ann Walliss Hoye but known to all [ ] by the name of Ann Walliss Hoye for [ ] [ ] life and [ ] to my [ ] [ ] as follows to Wm Thomas Hoye as [ ] - Elizabeth Williams Hoye as [ ] - Robert Hoye as baptised dated [ ] twenty five of [ ] 1832. Ann Walliss Mackey or otherwise known as Ann Walliss Hoye [ ] sole Executrix witness Ebenezer Jackson, Robert (ss) Hoye Testater in the perogative court of Canterbury In the goods of Robert Hoye otherwise Mackey dec’d
Old 30-05-11, 12:19
Administrator

I've sent you my transcription of the actual will, Maggie, court stuff to follow later. I think the reason why "wife" is crossed out is just because it was supposed to say "loving and lawful wife" and he wrote the word "wife" too early.

Old 30-05-11, 12:27
maggie_4_7

Okay this is Kiterunner's transcript a much better job than me

"In the Name of God Amen this being my last Will & Testament I Robert Hoye or otherwise Robert Mackey But known to all Men by the name of Robert Hoye Do will & bequeath all & everything or article I now possess or may be possessed of hereafter unto my loving wife (crossed out) and lawful wife Ann Walliss Mackey or otherwise Ann Walliss Hoye but known to all Men by the name of Ann Walliss Hoye for her natural life and then to my three children namely as follows: Wm Thomas Hoye as christened Elizabeth Williams Hoye as christened Robert Hoye as baptised Dated this twenty fifth of November 1832 Ann Walliss Mackey or otherwise Ann Wallis Hoye whole & sole Executrix

Robert Hoye Testater

Witness Ebenezer Jackson"
Old 30-05-11, 12:30
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I've sent you my transcription of the actual will, Maggie, court stuff to follow later. I think the reason why "wife" is crossed out is just because it was supposed to say "loving and lawful wife" and he wrote the word "wife" too early.
Yes I would think so.

I am now on the quest of the Mackey name/family! How weird I wondered why there weren't many Hoyes but there are a few but cannot connect them.

Like you say possibly illegitimate and his father's name was Hoye and decided to use it and to hoolah with them.

I think Ann may have been his second wife and Elizabeth Williams Doolittle his first and William and Elizabeth's mother but perhaps Robert was Ann's son.
Old 30-05-11, 13:12
maggie_4_7

I wish I could find baptisms for his children...! I think they were baptised in Essex rather than London.

On the wife thing perhaps she wasn't his lawful wife but decided he'd better put that for fear of an argument
Old 30-05-11, 13:26
maggie_4_7

Okay this is Kiterunner's transcript a much better job than me

"In the Name of God Amen this being my last Will & Testament I Robert Hoye or otherwise Robert Mackey But known to all Men by the name of Robert Hoye Do will & bequeath all & everything or article I now possess or may be possessed of hereafter unto my loving wife (crossed out) and lawful wife Ann Walliss Mackey or otherwise Ann Walliss Hoye but known to all Men by the name of Ann Walliss Hoye for her natural life and then to my three children namely as follows: Wm Thomas Hoye as christened Elizabeth Williams Hoye as christened Robert Hoye as baptised Dated this twenty fifth of November 1832 Ann Walliss Mackey or otherwise Ann Wallis Hoye whole & sole Executrix

Robert Hoye Testater

Witness Ebenezer Jackson"

I just had a thought why has he said Christened for William and Elizabeth and Baptised for Robert?

Tags
to3g28