Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 27-05-11, 10:23
Administrator

Default Maria Elisabeth Vincent

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Maria Elisabeth Vincent on baptism, but just Maria Vincent from then on
Date and place of birth 13 Dec 1824 King's Lynn, Norfolk
Names of parents Richard Hawkes and Elizabeth Vincent (not married to each other)
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 17 Dec 1824 St Margaret, King's Lynn, Norfolk
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 20 Oct 1843 Burnham Norton, to Robert Annis. Spinster, of age, no father's name on certificate, witnesses Ann Vincent and Susan Powell.
Occupation(s) - if any Housewife
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841 - 1884 Burnham Norton, Norfolk
1891 - 16 Augusta St., Accrington, Lancashire
1901 - 10 Limefield St., Accrington
1911 - 96 Avenue Parade, Accrington

Date, place and cause of death 1914 Accrington, Lancashire, not got cause.
Date and place of burial. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 05-11-14 at 23:01. Reason: Add birth and baptism details and parents' names
Old 27-05-11, 11:05
Administrator

This is a long-standing brick wall in OH's tree. A lot of people have Maria in their trees as the daughter of Edmund and Susan(nah) Vincent (aka Vinson or Winson) who she is with in 1841. BUT- Edmund was the parish clerk of Burnham Norton in 1841, and had children baptised there between 1814 and 1821. So it seems unlikely that he wouldn't have had Maria baptised there if she was his daughter, and that his name wouldn't be on her marriage certificate. I think it's more likely that Maria was Edmund and Susannah's grand-daughter or some other relative, but I haven't found a daughter of theirs who could be her mother yet.

This is what I have so far:
Edmund Vincent, singleman, married Susanna Withers, singlewoman, 13 Oct 1801 Burnham Westgate, both of the parish. Children:
Sarah baptised 11 Jan 1804 Burnham Deepdale
Susanna baptised 29 Nov 1807 Burnham Deepdale
Thomas born 29 Jan 1809 Brancaster, baptised 19 Feb 1809 Brancaster
Rebecca born 20 Aug 1810 Brancaster, baptised 8 Sep 1810 Brancaster
John born 14 Sep 1812 Brancaster, baptised 29 Sep 1812 Brancaster
Christiana baptised 29 Sep 1814 Burnham Norton
Ann baptised 6 Jan 1816 Burnham Norton
Charlotte baptised 13 Apr 1818 Burnham Norton
William baptised 6 Mar 1820 Burnham Norton
Simon baptised 27 Jul 1821 Burnham Norton.

There is a possible baptism for Maria - Maria Elisabeth Vincent, daughter of Elisabeth Vincent, born 17 Nov 1824, baptised 17 Dec 1824 at St Margaret's, Lynn, abode Lynn. But I haven't managed to find out anything about the mother Elisabeth to see if she could be a daughter of Edmund and Susanna. There is room for them to have had a child in 1802/3 but I haven't found a baptism. Edmund had two sisters that I know of - Mary born 1778 Warham, Norfolk, and Sarah Martha born 1788 Warham. I haven't traced them forwards yet to eliminate them as possible mothers for Maria (or I suppose Mary could be her grandmother). Also I need to see what happened to Edmund and Susanna's daughter Sarah as she would be old enough. But Maria's only daughter was named Elizabeth, so I think it's pretty likely that she is the Maria baptised at Lynn, daughter of Elizabeth.

Old 27-05-11, 17:17

Ooh got excited there when I saw her name as I have a 4 x great grandmother called Maria Vincent AKA Vinson, but she was born about 20 years earlier than yours & her family are from Tivetshall which is about 50 miles from King's Lynn.
Old 27-05-11, 18:32
Administrator

Sorry, Jay!

Just remembered - Susannah Withers' mother was called Elizabeth, so you would think she would have named a daughter after her. Mind you, Edmund's mother was a Mary, and Susannah's father was Peter, and I haven't found children named after any of them either. Also Simon who was named after Edmund's father was their fourth son, so maybe they just weren't keen on naming their children after the grandparents.

Old 01-10-14, 23:48
Administrator

Wow, I've just found two baptisms on FamilySearch which it says are taken from the Burnham Deepdale Bishop's Transcripts:

Mary Vincent 27 May 1802
Elizabeth Withers Vincent 12 Jan 1806

both daughters of Edmund and Susanna!

So it looks likely to me that this Elizabeth is the mother of my Maria. I'm pretty sure this is right so I have added Elizabeth and the rest of the Vincents etc to my tree. At last!

Tags
to3g28