Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 28-06-20, 09:32

28 June 1838 saw the coronation of Queen Victoria.

The little church of Hamworthy in Dorset saw a different ceremony: the marriage of George Hawkins to Susanna Moore (variously spelt!). Susanna's family was probably relieved as their first child was born in the September quarter and the dresses of the day can hardly have concealed the fact.

Hamworthy church was destroyed during the Civil War. This replacement was built by the parishioners. Susanna's mother, Sarah contributed labour towards its construction. Sadly, they used the wrong materials. It had to be replaced withi a few decades.
Old 15-07-20, 15:44

I keep forgetting this thread, too!

On July 14th 1800 4xgreat grandmother Sarah Headland, nee Trenley, appeared before

the Pauper Settlement Board of St.Clement Danes on behalf of husband Isaac & sons

Thomas (my 3xgreat grandfather) & Robert. There is no trace of either Sarah or Isaac

after this date.
Old 29-07-20, 10:15
Administrator

My grandmother Janet Mary Vowles (married name Bristow) was born on 29th Jul 1910 at Oswestry.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-08-20, 13:25

Happy Birthday, Audrey, on what would have been your 90th birthday today, the glorious 12th.
Old 30-09-20, 11:13
Administrator

I will just copy this from my thread on the Great War board:

Robert Salter Bristow - My great-grandfather.

Born 8 Oct 1862 at Elmers End, Beckenham, Kent, the son of John Bristow and Elizabeth Mary nee Ferrier. Married Alice Queenie Brown 3 Oct 1899 at Hampstead Register Office. Worked his way up from mariner to Master Mariner in the merchant navy. During WW1 he was the captain of a ship called the Heron. He died on the 30th Sep 1917 when the Heron was torpedoed by the German submarine U 90 in the Bay of Biscay while on a voyage from Tyne to Oporto with a cargo of coal, and he is commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial at Trinity Square, London along with the other 21 members of the crew who died.

The sinking of the Heron is mentioned in the book "A Century of Sea Trading 1824-1924 The General Steam Navigation Company" by Leslie Cope Cornford. Here is some of what it says:

On Sunday, 30th September, 1917, at midnight, the Heron and Drake were three days out from Falmouth in company with a convoy of twenty or thirty vessels,

According to the evidence of Higo, the Japanese crane-man, the Heron was struck in the engine-room by a torpedo at one o’clock am. The Japanese had just come out of his bath. He felt the ship going down under his feet, and naked as he was, he snatched a lifebelt, scrambled on deck, and dived into the sea. When he came to the surface, the ship had disappeared. The sea was smooth and the moon shining. Higo heard the cries of the crew, whom he could not see. He had been in the water some twenty minutes when the German submarine picked him up. The German gave him a shirt and trousers. They left the rest of the crew to drown.

About ten o’clock, Higo, sitting below, heard the firing of guns on board; and an hour later, Captain Carter of the Drake came below and told Higo the Drake’s crew were safe. The Drake, Captain Carter, had been shelled and sunk, Captain Carter had been ordered to come on board the submarine, and the Drake’s boats had been sent away. Twelve hours later, they were picked up by the Cronstadt, Captain Logan, who had fought the same submarine for two hours after the destruction of the Drake, and had escaped from her behind a smoke screen. Both the chief engineer of the Drake, Mr. J. Peters, and her second officer, Mr. Dax, had been torpedoed before. Mr. Peters was a survivor of the Hirondelle. Higo the Japanese was kept in the submarine until Monday, when the Germans, having sunk a French sailing ship, put him with the French crew in their lifeboat, which was picked up on the following Wednesday afternoon by the British mine-sweeper Camelia.
Captain Carter was carried to Germany in the submarine.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-10-20, 10:46

lMy late father was born on this day in 1907,place of birth Dale Road, Kentish Town.

He remembered sitting on his father's shoulders to watch the funeral procession of

Edward 7.

In WW2 he served in the Suffolk regiment & was evacuated from Dunkirk, serving time

as chairman of the local Dunkirk Veterans after moving to Cheshire.

A quiet man who wore his learning lightly, he sparked my interest in literature &

Shakespeare in particular, for which I'm eternally grateful.

I know he would have been thrilled by the results of my ten year quest to trace our

family history & only wish I had been able to share it with him. I am proud to be his

daughter & will continue to do all that I can to honour his memory.
Old 05-11-20, 16:01

A day late with this, I'm afraid. Nov 4th 1833 saw the birth of g/grandfather Henry William
Headland Jnr. Apprenticed to his silversmith uncle he took over the family business in Great Sutton St., London, but within a couple of years had lost everything & was imprisoned for not paying his workers. His family was left with 'not five shillings worth of
furniture in house.' After serving his sentence he relocated to Hackney where he made
surgical instruments.He died in 1886 aged 52.
Old 19-01-21, 12:13

On this day in 1806 my 3xg'uncle Thomas Hughes Headland,older brother of my g/g/grandfather Henry William was born. Silversmith, theatrical manager & hotel owner,
Thomas was a man of many parts, not all of them successful. After handing over the
family silversmith business to his nephew Henry William Jun (my g/grandfather)he
became secretary to composer & music educationalist John Pyke Hullah at St. Martins's Hall where Dickens gave his first public readings. When his manager died, Dickens hired
Thomas as manager for the readings tour he was about to undertake. Big mistake - Thomas was a disaster (wrong readings & dates announced; posters lost, & near riots
when audiences realised they would not be able to see their idol) forcing Dickens to
intervene personally to appeal for calm. Thomas was even given his very own Dickensian nickname - 'Blockheadland or 'Block' - & details of his misfortunes appear
frequently in the author's correspondence.He also has the dubious distinction of being
responsibe for Dickens abandoning the lucrative readings for three years, so traumatised was he by the experience.
Thomas eventually moved to Eastbourne where he ran an hotel & became a pillar of the
community who enjoyed dining out on tales of his time with Dickens, probably unaware
that he would go down in posterity as a kind of Victorian Mr. Bean.
He died in 1888 aged eighty one & is buried in Ocklynge Cemetary, Eastbourne. When
funds allow I intend to get him a headstone with a suitable inscription - perhaps
Dickens's description - 'a worthy man with a genius for mistakes.'
Happy Birthday, Thomas - at least you were never boring.
Old 10-02-21, 10:43

2xg/grandfather Henry William Headland was born on Feb 10th 1808 in Uxbridge. Henry William was a dyer & scourer, first in Islington, then at various addresses round the Euston area of London.
Widowed twice, he married for the third time in 1859 & died six weeks later of erysipelas.
Old 14-03-21, 16:27

It's Len of the Chilterns birthday today, and my Mum's. Both born 14 March 1924. A better gardener than I'll ever be, and keenly interested in politics. She read newspapers she disagreed with, to get a wider picture. Wish I was better at listening to the arguments I don't like.