Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 16-11-12, 18:01

Default Charles Harwood

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Charles Harwood also known as Charles Chandler (his great grandmother Sarah Harwood didn't marry his great grandfather Thomas Chandler until after his grandfather's birth, they went by either name)
Date and place of birth
1867 Egdean near Fittleworth, Sussex
Names of parents
Charles Harwood aka Chandler and Mary Ann Puttick
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
16 Feb 1868 Sutton, Sussex (his father's birthplace) son of Charles and Mary Chandler of Sutton. Father's occupation: labourer
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
13 Apr 1895 Fittleworth, Sussex to Mary Pottington
Occupation(s) - if any
1881 Machine thresher's boy
1891 ?
1901 & 1911 Farm Bailiff at Bolnore Lodge, Haywards Heath for Sir Alexander Drake Kleinwort the banker.
Military service - if any
-
Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
1871 Fittleworth, Sussex
1881 Whyke Road, Rumboldswyke, Sussex next door to The Crown

1891 not found
1901 & 1911 Bolnore Lodge, Haywards Heath, Sussex
Date, place and cause of death
14 Aug 1916 of general paralysis of the insane (final stage of syphilis) at Broadmoor Asylum, Crowthorne, Berkshire
Date and place of burial / cremation.
18 Aug 1916 St John The Baptist, Crowthorne, Berkshire
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Administration 7th Nov 1927 Lewes to Thomas Charles Harwood £272 0s 5d. Thomas was his son, he didn't share the money with his only surviving sister.
Memorial inscription - if any
Unknown

Link to son Thomas Charles Harwood

Charles's wife had died in November 1911 from TB, during the period of her decline he embezzled several sums of 2 shillings from his employer, merchant banker Sir Alexander Drake Kleinwort. For this he was arrested and charged of three counts of theft by false pretences of about 2s on 23 May, 5 Jul and 20 Oct and remanded to Lewes Prison in Dec 1911 where under the observation of Dr WA Dow he was considered insane, a danger to himself & others in January the Court found him unfit to plead, so he was sentenced to Broadmoor. His children became the responsibility of the workhouse, they were boarded out with local families, the son separately to his sisters.

Last edited by Jill; 21-08-14 at 09:08. Reason: link to son, court case details
Old 27-11-14, 20:12

Ancestry's Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912 show Charles was admitted to Broadmoor on 9 Jan 1912 and died there on 14 Aug 1916.
Old 01-08-20, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
His children became the responsibility of the workhouse, they were boarded out with local families, the son separately to his sisters.
I have just found out that the daughters were sent to St Monica's Home for Girls in Cheltenham, Harriett Florence died in Cheltenham General Hospital and was buried at St Mary's 18 Feb 1915 as an orphan (her father was still alive though.) Family legend says she died of a broken heart, though I suspect TB like her mother. Will send for the death cert.
Old 02-08-20, 13:05

Hi Jill

That's a very sad story, for Charles and his children. As I re-read this, I was struck by the name Puttick.

In my Dad's Ancestry DNA matches, there is one which suggests that they have a common ancestors in John Dubbin who married Anne Puttick in 1790, through a daughter who might have been Jane who might have married a William Martin and her son might be our mysterious William Martin.

I think its not correct, as Jane Dubbin married William Martin in 1819, really too late for our William to be married by 1839. Tiffany has a definite link to Dad, but her tree is very small and the common ancestor is worked out through several other trees.

As William Martin was supposedly born 1810-1815, its lot earlier than your Mary Ann Puttick, but I wondered if you might know anything about earlier Putticks?

I have never been able to be definitive about when or where William Martin might have been born or baptised and we have no other DNA matches for the Martin family. There were several William Martin baptised in Sussex in the time 1800-1815, but none leaps out at me as being the right one, even after years of researching them all.

Di
Old 02-08-20, 14:05

Mary Ann Puttick's father was John Puttick bapt Coldwaltham 1817 son of James (a labourer) and Ann who had married at Storrington in 1816, James was born c1791 but I have not found a baptism for him.
Old 04-08-20, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I have just found out that the daughters were sent to St Monica's Home for Girls in Cheltenham, Harriett Florence died in Cheltenham General Hospital and was buried at St Mary's 18 Feb 1915 as an orphan (her father was still alive though.) Family legend says she died of a broken heart, though I suspect TB like her mother. Will send for the death cert.
The death cert has come and confirms that she died of TB, on 11th Feb 1915 aged 11 and names her father as Charles Harwood, farm bailiff.
Old 27-09-20, 12:40

The family have just been given letters that Charles wrote from Broadmoor to his son.
Old 26-10-20, 21:25

The letters are fairly mundane, he asks for tobacco and a tin of cocoa, wishes son and daughters happy birthday/Christmas and asks to be remembered to Mrs Field who was looking after the children. There is a copy of a letter from Sir Alexander Kleinwort asking if Harwood's assets can be managed by a trustee to provide an income for the children (but he doesn't want to do this himself) and a reply to his solicitor basically saying NO.

The state managed and invested his money and it took a solicitor to get it back in 1927. There is an account of various stocks bought and sold. Following his arrest, a bailiff cleared the cottage of furniture and it was stored at a local coal merchants for a while, his friends having refused to help. There is an inventory which begins "About 8 yards of lino"

There's also a telegram saying he was sinking, followed by another to say he had died and the official letter notifying his death and his funeral arrangements.

There's also the bill for his wife's funeral in 1911.
Old 10-04-21, 10:37

I've now scanned or photographed all the letters, documents and photographs and found that his assets were eventually managed by the state for the maintenance of his children and his former employer swore an affidavit to get this done, there is a copy in the file.
Old 16-04-21, 15:17

This is the inventory (spelling mistakes not corrected) of the contents of his cottage which were sold, along with a shop with living accommodation that he owned which he let to a newsagent/tobacconist for £30 p.a.

April 2nd 1912
Inventory of Goods stored at Mr G Cook Yard, Haywards Heath
1. About 8 yards of line
2. Two brass mounted French Bed Steads
3. Chest Mahoganny Drawers
4. Antique Barometer
5. Small do
6. A.M. Clock and two cases stuffed birds
7. Marble Clock
8. 3ft 6in x 3ft oak sea chest packed with gent’s clothing etc
9. Pine chest of drawers with contents
10. Small Toilet Glass