Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 27-04-11, 22:39

I haven't been for ages either & i have posted news of my discoveries.
Old 28-04-11, 14:57

I've got the hang of finding things now - I was looking in records,not images before. I've found quite a few burials in Great Ponton for various of OH's family and, best of all, I've found references for three wills for his 3xgreat grandparents and his 2x great grandfather. The images aren't on the site but using a link there to Lincolnshire Archives, I've downloaded the necessary application forms and sent them off. What a great site. I wish some of our other counties had similar.

Ann
Old 29-04-11, 14:25

Thanks Ann.
Old 07-06-11, 08:43

I have just read the latest newsletter from Lost Cousins plugging this site. He points out that it isn't particularly user-friendly, but that he found instructions for searching the website for parish registers. I have just printed them for my use.

Here is the link:
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Download/870
Old 07-06-11, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
I have just read the latest newsletter from Lost Cousins plugging this site. He points out that it isn't particularly user-friendly, but that he found instructions for searching the website for parish registers. I have just printed them for my use.

Here is the link:
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Download/870
Oh, I'm glad it isn't only me who finds it hard to use!

I found mention of three wills on there; my husband's 4x great grandfather, his wife and his son who was OH's 3xgreat grandfather. They aren't viewable online but I got the references, downloaded Lincolnshire Archives' order form from their web site and sent it off on 28th April - I made a special trip to the postbox to catch the post that afternoon with the Royal Wedding holiday coming up. Then, as you mayrecall, the sky fell in on us when OH had a heart attack that same weekend...and I forgot all about the wills. Well, I've remembered now and we still don't have them nearly 6 weeks later. Nothing has been debited to my credit card either so I don't know what has happened to the order. I'm sure they are very busy because of this new web site and all the Bank Holidays we've had but I think I might have heard from them by now. I'll give them until the end of this week before I ring to enquire.

Elizabeth: I haven't forgotten Scotton. It was a beautiful morning today so I thought I would nip over after lunch....but the heavens opened and it has poured on and off all afternoon! I WILL get there eventually, I promise.
Old 07-06-11, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
Oh, I'm glad it isn't only me who finds it hard to use!

I found mention of three wills on there; my husband's 4x great grandfather, his wife and his son who was OH's 3xgreat grandfather. They aren't viewable online but I got the references, downloaded Lincolnshire Archives' order form from their web site and sent it off on 28th April - I made a special trip to the postbox to catch the post that afternoon with the Royal Wedding holiday coming up. Then, as you mayrecall, the sky fell in on us when OH had a heart attack that same weekend...and I forgot all about the wills. Well, I've remembered now and we still don't have them nearly 6 weeks later. Nothing has been debited to my credit card either so I don't know what has happened to the order. I'm sure they are very busy because of this new web site and all the Bank Holidays we've had but I think I might have heard from them by now. I'll give them until the end of this week before I ring to enquire.

Elizabeth: I haven't forgotten Scotton. It was a beautiful morning today so I thought I would nip over after lunch....but the heavens opened and it has poured on and off all afternoon! I WILL get there eventually, I promise.
Ann, Scotton can wait until your OH is a lot better and you have time to think about more trivial things than his recovery. How frustrating for you having to wait so long for the wills. I expect they are very busy. I do hope they arrive soon.

I have been perusing the Scotton parish records and have already found lots of births. It appears that my ancestor Newbourn Wood was a Churchwarden in the 1790s.
Old 07-06-11, 20:20

Thanks for posting this - what a lovely site (if a bit hard to navigate!)

OH's lot from Thurlby are there

I might be some time...
Old 07-06-11, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Thanks for posting this - what a lovely site (if a bit hard to navigate!)

OH's lot from Thurlby are there

I might be some time
It's a real treasure trove isn't it?

"Ann, Scotton can wait until your OH is a lot better and you have time to think about more trivial things than his recovery"

Thanks Elizabeth...although I do feel bad, having promised to do something for you and then not done it. But I will, I will.
Old 08-06-11, 05:58
tenterfieldjulie

Just yesterday I met a lady visiting from Tasmania. Where are her ancestors from? Lincolnshire. So last night I copied and posted what you had all said here. I said on Anzacs how great your info was, her ancestors were Irbys and she goes back to the Earl of Boston. She has lots of info, but I know she will find lots more thanks to this site. I know she has visited some places and has been disappointed with what she has found. If you don't do your homework beforehand, or have local contacts, you really waste so much time. So thanks everyone for your inputs. I will add what you have said today when I email her. Julie
Old 08-06-11, 07:48

I have found lots of burials for my Wood family in Scotton.

They had a son called Edward christened on 6 Sep 1799.
Then another son called Edward christened on 28 Jan 1801.
And yet another son called Edward christened on 21 Apr 1802.

Inevitably I have found some burials:
Dec 13 1799 Edward son of Newbourn and Martha Wood
Mar 22 1801 Edward son of Newbourn and Martha Wood
Aug 21 1802 Edward son of Newbourn and Martha Wood

I think I might have given up on the name Edward as it didn't seem to be very lucky for them.

These boys were their 9th, 10th and 11th children respectively.