Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 28-02-19, 20:46

I use my daughter's tree, so I'm not sure what the settings are.
Old 01-03-19, 17:34

I'm not getting any ThruLines either. My tree is private and set to be indexed, but haven't saved any Ancestry records to it which is probably why I'm not getting anything as they won't have indexed it.
Old 04-03-19, 19:54
Administrator

I swear they are subtly shuffling the order of the match list each time I view it! I'm slowly working through my matches to see which shared matches (if any) each one has, but sometimes I get to where I was up to in the list, look at the next few entries, and then find that I get to a load of entries that I've already done.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-03-19, 07:27

The only easy way to sort things seems to be to assign a group a "to be sorted" colour, which you change when you've done. But I find it very difficult to manage a list of over 20k. Hopefully we will get pages back.
Old 05-03-19, 08:48
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The only easy way to sort things seems to be to assign a group a "to be sorted" colour, which you change when you've done. But I find it very difficult to manage a list of over 20k. Hopefully we will get pages back.

Good grief 20,000!

I am slowly working through mine which is about 300 I find the new features helpful especially the groups.

I have sorted through about a third of them into groups. I don't understand why people have their DNA done, upload it without any trees! I have managed to work out a couple of those because of their other matches.

I have a group named unknown no other matches and unknown and other matches so I can deal with the knowns. But it is a big task and yes I hate that the Ancestry list does seem to shift about.

I did uploiad to GedMatch to cross check some which helped but I have now deleted my kit but kept my profile. I may upload again in the future.

I have uploaded to My Heritage but to use it properly I need to pay money which I don't want to do at the moment but I notice the same people are coming up, but there are a lot more matches.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 05-03-19 at 08:53.
Old 05-03-19, 11:08
Administrator

300 in total, Maggie, or just 300 "4th cousins or closer"?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-03-19, 11:57
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
300 in total, Maggie, or just 300 "4th cousins or closer"?
4th cousins or closer.
Old 05-03-19, 13:31

It's worth looking at the others too, because if you can connect to more distant relatives it confirms your tree further back.
Old 05-03-19, 14:21
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
It's worth looking at the others too, because if you can connect to more distant relatives it confirms your tree further back.
Yes I am looking at those too but it is a bit of a job mainly because the list keeps shifting about which is why I like the group system I am shoving them in one straight away so I know I have been there before and also why I like the Thrulines because it picked up a few very distant cousins and I checked all their trees and crosschecked theirs and my research and bingo one was a Norfolk and a Northamptonshire connection which was great but way back, two Scottish ones way back, I wasn't sure I had the right families there is always a niggle with some research for me, but if we haven't we have all gone wrong but we are connected

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 05-03-19 at 15:03.
Old 05-03-19, 15:01
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I swear they are subtly shuffling the order of the match list each time I view it! I'm slowly working through my matches to see which shared matches (if any) each one has, but sometimes I get to where I was up to in the list, look at the next few entries, and then find that I get to a load of entries that I've already done.
Well either that or as more people have their DNA done it is re-ordering the list as they are added by the amount of DNA/segment match. I can't think of any other reason why it happens but yes I have noticed it too.