Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-08-14, 18:53
Administrator

I think this is Evan on the 1910 census but his name is down as Eve (it does show male though):
1910 US Census on ancestry
East Dominick St, Rome, Oneida, NY:
Jones George Head 40 married 14 yrs, no children, born New York parents born Wales, farmer
Jones Saraha Wife 37 married 14 yrs, no children, born New York parents born Wales
Griffiths, Eve, border, male, age 35, widowed, married 7 years (this is crossed out), born Wales, parents born Wales, year of immigration 1875, laborer for milk pedler
I can't make out what it says for alien or naturalised.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-08-14, 20:17

Evan had a brother called John Griffith who had gone to America a few years before him,perhaps it is him that they refer as his uncle.Can you find anything out about Ellen's twin Richard,did he marry and have children?Ellen had a son called name removedwhich is probably still alive, I would like to be able to trace him.When did Evan die and where is he buried?

Last edited by kiterunner; 29-08-14 at 21:41. Reason: name removed in case they are still alive
Old 29-08-14, 21:42
Administrator

Sorry Wendy but our forum rules say not to post the details of people who are or may still be living without their permission, so I have removed the name from your post. If people want to help they can PM me or Wendy for the name.

Old 29-08-14, 22:02
Administrator

The Rootschat thread says that Ellen's twin Richard William Griffith was born 15 Mar 1909 and died 19 Mar 1995 with last residence of St. Petersburg, Florida, according to the SSDI. And they found a likely 1940 census entry for him in Cortland City, New York, single, working as manager for a telegraph company.
I can't find him listed in a city directory for St Petersburg at the moment to see if he has a wife listed. Another possibility would be if we can find an obituary for him. I will have to look tomorrow as it is getting late now. I was looking for Evan's death earlier on but not found anything yet.

Old 30-08-14, 09:55
Administrator

Here is Evan on a passenger list travelling back to the US Nov-Dec 1913:
New York Passenger Lists on ancestry
List of United States Citizens
SS Caronia sailing from Liverpool 29 Nov 1913, arriving at Port of New York 7 Dec 1913
Griffiths Evan Jones age 40, widower, naturalized at Common Law Court, Rome, NY, 30 Jul 1896. Address in United States Rome, NY.

Old 30-08-14, 10:39
Administrator

I've found this on the Fulton History site:

Daily Sentinel, Rome, NY, Sat May 27 1950
Funeral
Evan J Griffiths
Funeral services for Evan J Griffiths, a former Roman who died in Chicago, Ill, Tuesday, were held at 2 pm today in the Martin J Nunn Funeral Home, 418 N George St, with the Rev Caradoc Ph Williams, pastor of Bethel Presbyterian Church, officiating.
Bearers were Evan J and Owen W Hughes, John and David Davies and Robert T Williams, all of Rome, and William T Roberts, Utica. Interment was in the family plot in Wright Settlement Cemetery where Mr Williams conducted committal services.
Flowers were received from Chicago friends, the Commercial Telegraphers' Union, Rochester; Western Union Employees, Rochester, friends, relatives and neighbors.
Services were held Thursday evening in Chicago with the Rev William T Jones, Chicago, officiating.

Utica Observer-Dispatch Thurs May 25 1950
Obituaries
Evan J Griffiths
Rome - Evan J Griffiths, 78, Chicago, former Rome milk dealer, died May 24, 1950. He had been in ill health for the past two years.
He was born Nov 21, 1871, in Lleyn, North Wales. He married Amy Jones in 1903 in Rome. Mrs Griffiths died in 1909.
He had lived in Chicago for 26 years.
While in Rome he was a member of the Bethlehem Presbyterian Church, and Madoc Lodge, American True Ivorites.
He leaves a daughter, Mrs Hugh L Jones, Utica, a son, Richard W Griffith, Rochester, a grandson, ... Jones, Utica, and several nieces and nephews.

I would definitely recommend that you search the Fulton History site for exact phrase Evan J Griffiths and then for exact phrase Evan J Griffith, as it will come up with loads of newspaper articles etc which may be about the right family, as was mentioned on the Rootschat thread. I haven't looked through them all myself.

Old 30-08-14, 12:21

Somebody told me about the Fulton history site but I've had no luck with it,do you have to be a member of ancestry or find my past to access it,no proper words come up on it when I try or am I doing something wrong.Would you be able to find out what was Evan's occupation in Chicago?His son in law Ellen's husband Hugh Lloyd Jones came here to North Wales between 1950_1955 could you find out which year it was and what was Hugh Lloyd Jones occupation.
Old 30-08-14, 14:45
Administrator

You don't have to be a member of ancestry or FMP to use the Fulton History site and it is free. I hadn't come across it before I saw it on that Rootschat thread. Just click on the link below and when the page loads, click where it says "Enter" or "Press here". Then you should see a page with search boxes on the left and you can enter the name you are looking for, and it might work best if you select "the exact phrase" from the dropdown menu. Then click on "Search" and you should get a list of newspapers that it has found matches in, and you can click each one in turn to see the newspaper page containing the article.

http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Old 30-08-14, 15:25
Administrator

I haven't managed to find Evan in Chicago on the 1930 or 1940 census yet to see what occupation is shown, nor in the Chicago city directories, although his obituary suggests that he moved to Chicago around 1924.

Old 30-08-14, 15:34

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KWTL-68Q

There is this one in 1940 in Chicago.

Name: Evan Griffiths
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Ward 1, Chicago, Chicago City, Cook, Illinois, United States
Marital Status: Widowed
Race (Original): White
Race: White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Lodger
Relationship to Head of Household: Lodger
Birthplace: Wales
Birth Year (Estimated): 1873
Last Place of Residence: Same House
District: 103-41
Family Number: 150
Sheet Number and Letter: 62A
Line Number: 38
Affiliate Publication Number: T627
Affiliate Film Number: 921
Digital Folder Number: 005459662
Image Number: 00820

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Elsie Jones Head F 55 Wales
George Gaveni Lodger M 64 Iowa
Tom Mohar Lodger M 78 England
Amanda Dumas Lodger F 57 Illinois
Mary Polahan Lodger F 61 Illinois
Evan Griffiths Lodger M 67 Wales
Margaret Mcgrath Lodger F 70 Ohio
Kern Neppie Lodger M 24 Illinois
William Thayer Lodger M 76 Illinois
Frederick Sherman Lodger M 77 Illinois
Anna Darby Lodger F 77 Maryland
Mary Ryan Lodger F 70 New York
Estelle Dykes Lodger F 33 Illinois

Citing this Record:
"United States Census, 1940," index and images, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KWTL-68Q : accessed 30 Aug 2014), Evan Griffiths in household of Elsie Jones, Ward 1, Chicago, Chicago City, Cook, Illinois, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 103-41, sheet 62A, family 150, NARA digital publication of T627, roll 921.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 30-08-14 at 15:38.