Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-05-11, 12:37

Default Amelie Ducroix

Hi

I am a descendant of John and Emily (Amelie Ducroix) McCrohon. I have the baptism certificates of Emily's last 4 children. They were provided by the Newcastle Family History Society of Australia.

The name of Emily Ducroix is inserted as mother's name.

My grandmother Veronica Hunt was the daughter of Mary Ellen Delanty who was the adopted natural granddaughter of Adelaide McCrohon, daughter of John and Emily. Adelaide was married to John Lockhart. I have Mary Ellen Delanty's marriage certificate which states that she was adopted by her grandfather.

Veronica married my grandfather Robert Chantrill.

Jennifer Chantrill

Last edited by Jennifer Chantrill; 14-05-11 at 12:39.
Old 14-05-11, 17:06

Hi! Jennifer and welcome. Julie and I are the two McCrohon researchers on the forum. Happy to have another to share the load.
I have no record in my tree of Mary Ellen. How exciting to find someone new. Can you tell me the name of her mother, and father if you know it? Presently I have 11 children from the marriage of Adelaide and William and have traced about half as far as I can on public records. I would be happy to have any additional information and glad to share what I have. So far in my research you are the first descendant of Adelaide I have come across.
When you say you have the baptisms of the last four of Emily's children do you mean the children of Emily and John McCrohon?
Julie and I are now operating on the premise that Emily DuCroix was the widow of a fellow solider in the 4th, James Banham. Presently she is having further research of the regiment done by a knowledgeable fellow in England. He has already discovered that John McCrohon's father, also John, was a private in the 4th. We had thought this might be so as John Jr. joined the regiment so early and in such a far away place. Looking forward to the full results of his research as it may help us find the Banham/DuCroix connection.
If there are any records you would like I will be happy to share. You can pm a message to me on this forum and I will send you pdf files.
Old 18-05-11, 08:07
tenterfieldjulie

Hi Jennifer, Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that I haven't found your post before, I've been away over the weekend with a sick friend. Ammanda emailed me about contact with a relation of Adelaide McCrohon and I heard from another descendant, I was a bit confused as his name is Michael. I've heard back from Kevin Asplin the Military Researcher and on Saturday I hope to get the info sorted and I will get back to you. You said you have the baptism certs of Emily's last four children, are you talking about the O'Keefe children?
Old 08-02-12, 07:51

Default Emily Du Croix

Hello Amanda and Julie

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your comments. Last year we had a serious medical emergency and I lost track. I'm ready to go on.

Back to Emily Du Croix (McCrohon)...........my grandmother Veronica Chantrill nee Hunt was the daughter of Mary Ellen Lockhart..........she was the daughter of Edward Lockhart and Mary Delanty. My Aunt who is over 80 years old told me this story, and I have Mary Ellens wedding certiicate to Alfred Hunt (NSW marriage). Edward and Mary Delanty were engaged, and she became pregnant and he abandoned her and went off somewhere. The Delanty family were religious Catholics, Marys 2 sisters were Nuns..........can you believe the scandal OMG.
My Aunt told me that the Delanty family dumped the baby on the Lockharts doorstep. What I can verify is that Mary Ellen's wedding certificate states that she was adopted by her Grandfather William Lockhart. This does add substance to my Aunt's story.
What is vital to this story is that my grandmother Veronica Hunt knew Adelaide Lockhart as her GRANDMOTHER, Edward being out of the picture and we now know living in Sydney where he married someone else. My grandmother knew Adelaide to be half French, and that Emily was born in France and a Frenchwoman. My grandmother was 16 when Adelaide died, so there is no doubt.
Emily baptised several of the younger children of herself and John McCrohon 2 months before dying. I have the records. Emily gave her maiden name as Du Croix.
Also important is that French people tell me my grandmother looks very French.
If any of you are related to the Lockhart, McCrohon families, I would be happy to discuss this further. I have added my email contact to my membership on this website. Kind regards Jennifer
Old 14-02-12, 23:14

Default Lockhart descendant

Hi Jennifer

I too am a descendant from John and Emily down the Lockhart line - my grandmother was the daughter of Edward Charles Lockhart and his second wife Barbara Agatha Curran.

Your ancestor had a fascinating story, I'd love to know more!

If it's not too forward I'd love to see what you have and am happy to share what I have.

Hope you're well

regards
Michael Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Dawn View Post
Hello Amanda and Julie

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your comments. Last year we had a serious medical emergency and I lost track. I'm ready to go on.

Back to Emily Du Croix (McCrohon)...........my grandmother Veronica Chantrill nee Hunt was the daughter of Mary Ellen Lockhart..........she was the daughter of Edward Lockhart and Mary Delanty. My Aunt who is over 80 years old told me this story, and I have Mary Ellens wedding certiicate to Alfred Hunt (NSW marriage). Edward and Mary Delanty were engaged, and she became pregnant and he abandoned her and went off somewhere. The Delanty family were religious Catholics, Marys 2 sisters were Nuns..........can you believe the scandal OMG.
My Aunt told me that the Delanty family dumped the baby on the Lockharts doorstep. What I can verify is that Mary Ellen's wedding certificate states that she was adopted by her Grandfather William Lockhart. This does add substance to my Aunt's story.
What is vital to this story is that my grandmother Veronica Hunt knew Adelaide Lockhart as her GRANDMOTHER, Edward being out of the picture and we now know living in Sydney where he married someone else. My grandmother knew Adelaide to be half French, and that Emily was born in France and a Frenchwoman. My grandmother was 16 when Adelaide died, so there is no doubt.
Emily baptised several of the younger children of herself and John McCrohon 2 months before dying. I have the records. Emily gave her maiden name as Du Croix.
Also important is that French people tell me my grandmother looks very French.
If any of you are related to the Lockhart, McCrohon families, I would be happy to discuss this further. I have added my email contact to my membership on this website. Kind regards Jennifer