Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 26-08-16, 16:42

At least three of my Badcock relations dropped their name and chose another, two of them took their wife's surname and another seems a totally random choice.

When I was researching a tree for a friend I found she was connected to Henry Wainwright, who murdered his mistress in Whitechapel and was hanged in the 1870s. I found his widow and children had changed their name to Worthington.
Old 26-08-16, 18:40

I have one family member who changed his name from Alexander Archibald Hiles to George Edward Mayo. Luckily someone told me of this name change as I would never have found it myself.
There was also the career criminal who was known by 12 different names as well as original one. Well 12 that we know of, there might be more!
Old 26-08-16, 20:09
Administrator

I suppose for every family/individual we have identified who changed their name for whatever reason there are another dozen that just seem to have vanished.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-09-16, 14:44

Have you tried looking in old newspapers?

Completely by accident I found that an ancestor had officially changed his name - there was a little "legal" paragraph in the newspaper of the time.

The only other one I have was the Kutz family (German) who altered their spelling to Cutts (not long before WWI!) And Cutts they have remained ever since.
Old 05-09-16, 20:43

I haven't come across any name change in my own family tree, but my cousin’s grandfather, William Bellenie, changed his surname to Walker in the early 1900s. Perhaps he wanted to sound more English, but I’ve no idea where the name Walker came from. His children’s registrations were in the name of Bellinie. He was a deep-sea diver and as William Walker became well known for ‘saving’ Winchester Cathedral.
Old 07-09-16, 19:57
Joy Dean

I have a George Sadd in my family who was born in Little Glemham, Suffolk in 1825. His surname was Sadd in all the census apart from the 1881 census when his surname became Lancaster.
Old 08-09-16, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenoco View Post
I haven't come across any name change in my own family tree, but my cousin’s grandfather, William Bellenie, changed his surname to Walker in the early 1900s. Perhaps he wanted to sound more English, but I’ve no idea where the name Walker came from. His children’s registrations were in the name of Bellinie. He was a deep-sea diver and as William Walker became well known for ‘saving’ Winchester Cathedral.
On a church crawl of South Norwood, I saw the house where he lived
Old 11-09-16, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
On a church crawl of South Norwood, I saw the house where he lived
Went past it a lot of times in my youth, but that was before family history and I didn't know about William then...