Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-09-14, 17:00

Default Jack the Ripper identified...

...or not?

The story caught my attention:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-murders.html

A businessman, Russell Edwards, bought a shawl. The story goes that the shawl was found next to the body of Catherine Eddowes, who was murdered by Jack the Ripper. A policeman liked the shawl and was allowed to take it home to his wife who, a dressmaker. She saw blood on it and popped in a shoebox, unwashed. Said shoebox was passed down through the generations until it was appeared at auction in Bury St Edmunds.

DNA was extracted from the shawl and compared to a descendant of victim, Catherine Eddowes. There was a match. Another DNA sample was compared to a descendant of a suspect's sister. There was a match.

The chap writing the book (for there is one...) unmasks the Ripper as hairdresser, Aaron Kosminski, a Jewish migrant who lived in the East End at the time.

Anyone reckon there are holes in this story?

Last edited by Shona; 15-09-14 at 17:15. Reason: Adding the suspect's sister
Old 15-09-14, 17:10
Administrator

Sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Quote:
Another DNA sample was compared to a descendant of a suspect. There was a match.
I know Catherine Eddowes had children so fair enough if they could find her descendants to compare samples of DNA, but did Aaron Kosminski have descendants? He was recorded as single on the census when already in the asylum.

In any case, I think the policeman's wife would have either washed the shawl or binned it or given it away.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-09-14, 17:15

The DNA was taken from a descendant of Aaron Kosminski's sister. Will edit post.
Old 15-09-14, 17:16
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
...or not?

The story caught my attention:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-murders.html

A businessman, Russell Edwards, bought a shawl. The story goes that the shawl was found next to the body of Catherine Eddowes, who was murdered by Jack the Ripper. A policeman liked the shawl and was allowed to take it home to his wife who, a dressmaker. She saw blood on it and popped in a shoebox, unwashed. Said shoebox was passed down through the generations until it was appeared at auction in Bury St Edmunds.

DNA was extracted from the shawl and compared to a descendant of victim, Catherine Eddowes. There was a match. Another DNA sample was compared to a descendant of a suspect. There was a match.

The chap writing the book (for there is one...) unmasks the Ripper as hairdresser, Aaron Kosminski, a Jewish migrant who lived in the East End at the time.

Anyone reckon there are holes in this story?
More holes than a sieve. I don't remember a shawl being one of the items found with Catherine Eddowes but I suppose their answer would be 'because the policeman took it'.

DNA certainly compromised. Even if this is true I am sure someone at some point would have cleaned it!!
Old 15-09-14, 17:26

From the bit I read (I stopped at that point!) the DNA was mtDNA which is not unique to any one woman.

I also think the provenance of the shawl is extremely dodgy. It was apparently a very expensive one and I am sure, as Merry says, the policeman's wife would have washed it and either worn it herself or flogged it. It almost certainly didn't belong to Catherine Eddows who reputedly pawned everything of any value including her clothes.

OC
Old 15-09-14, 17:27
Administrator

I'm always suspicious when someone writes a book following some surprise new evidence.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-09-14, 17:45
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I'm always suspicious when someone writes a book following some surprise new evidence.

I don't know why!
Old 15-09-14, 17:49

There was a policeman named Amos Simpson - the one who was meant to have got the shawl to take home to his wife.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

The 1911 census record states that Amos had been married for 36 years and that he and his wife Jane has two children, both living. Daughter Ellen, her husband and children are living with Amos and Jane in 1911.

The other child was a son named Henry.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...l=ReturnRecord

According to the story, the shawl was meant to have been passed down via Amos's daughter Mary. Prob is, Mary doesn't seem to exist.
Old 15-09-14, 18:00

I read a review of this book - can't remember where - which said that the shawl is probably covered in several people's DNA. And even if someone's DNA is on a shawl owned by a victim (which is disputed) it doesn't necessarily follow that they must have murdered her, merely that they've had contact with the shawl.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 16-09-14, 07:36

This might be it, Nell - excellent either way

http://usvsth3m.com/post/96977532433...neithers-aaron