Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 05-09-14, 05:03
Administrator

She seems like a genuine sort of person but, like others in the past, I don't believe it was all new to her or her father. They had the photo with the banjos.

I stuck it out to the end but I don't like this concentrating one ancestor and could have done without the time wasted in banjo shops and northern clubs.

Old 05-09-14, 08:18

I thought the prof was a tad creepy.
Old 05-09-14, 08:20

Marg

I think you've hit the nail on the head - rivetingly interesting for HER because it was her family but pretty uninteresting for the rest of us!

I recognised her as soon as I saw her but couldn't have told you her name until now.

OC
Old 05-09-14, 12:10

Anyone feel inspired by that to learn how to play the banjo?

No, I thought not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I thought the prof was a tad creepy.
Didn't he make the most of his 15 minutes of flirty fame?
Old 05-09-14, 14:17
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
She seems like a genuine sort of person but, like others in the past, I don't believe it was all new to her or her father. They had the photo with the banjos.

I stuck it out to the end but I don't like this concentrating one ancestor and could have done without the time wasted in banjo shops and northern clubs.

Agrees although I haven't seen this episode it appears to be the new format and I don't like it.

What's interesting is who the ancestors are and what the ancestors did but I don't want to see the WDYTYA subject trying to do it too.

I want to see a few generations (a mini tree) don't need to flesh it out to much, a bit but not to much because in one hour you can't do that and I want surprises for both the audience and the subject and also a step by step guide on how they got that information. Do I want to much?
Old 05-09-14, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
She's been in loads of things recently. Won a BAFTA or some other award for her portrayal of Mrs Biggs ( as in Ronnie Biggs).
She is a very good actress who I've seen in quite a few things. She will soon be on TV playing Cilla Black in a series about her early life and rise to fame. Here's a trailer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...lla-Black.html

I have always been a fan of Cilla's, especially in the days when we were both young (she is 7 months older than me) and Sheridan Smith could BE the young Cilla, both in looks and voice. I was surprised last night at what a good singer she is (much better than her mother I thought) and she demonstrates that in this trailer too.
Old 08-09-14, 19:29

Sheridan Smith is a very talented actress and I am sure will go on to better things. She was in a mini-series playing Charmian, wife to train-robber Ronnie Biggs and before that a sitcom called "Two pints of lager". The trailers for Cilla look excellent. She's also done Hedda Gabler on stage.

*do I get the idea that OC isn't very keen on banjos?*
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 08-09-14, 20:43

Nell

Banjos, like bagpipes, are ok in very small doses!

OC
Old 10-09-14, 08:45

A little late picking up this thread - have to say I'm a great Sheridan Smith fan.

She's so versatile. I remember her being cast in the musical version of "Legally Blonde"

a couple of years ago & after hearing her sing on WDYTYA I can see why it was thought

she could carry a West End show.

True, last Thursday's episode was extremely banjo- heavy, but she's so natural &

unaffected that I forgave that.

A few years ago, when she was James Corden's girlfriend, the two of them were driving

back from the north when they took a wrong turn & got lost near here. They called into

a local bar for directions & then bought everyone a drink! How lovely is that?