Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 26-11-13, 08:13
tenterfieldjulie

Default Stott Family Book

I have been looking at my Stott family, who were for generations in the Oldham/Rochdale area of Lancashire.
I have seen reference in lots of places to a website called stottshot and apparently it was not active and is active again.
There is a Californian Dr. Richard Stott who has written a book called "Stott History" and I been trying to look at it and the site, but it somehow seems linked to something doggy and I can't open it ... Can anyone find it on a reliable site please? Julie
Old 26-11-13, 09:07
Administrator

It looks as though his domain name expired and now it is being used as one of those "domain name for sale" things, so no use going onto that website, Julie.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-11-13, 09:12
Administrator

If you go onto the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and search for the website address on there, it has 40 old copies of it from various dates and you could look through those. But I am getting a message at the bottom of the screen "Internet Explorer blocked this website from installing an ActiveX control". Not sure what that means.

Anyway, this is a link to a copy of the Richard Stott history contents from 2003 on the Internet Archive (with no message about blocking stuff):
http://web.archive.org/web/200305012...ttContents.htm

Old 26-11-13, 09:40
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Kate .. there are still problems opening on the red links to read his trees .. aggh .. probably won't help me anyhow.
There are lots of Stott trees on Ancestry, but they are so full of wholes you can drive a truck through them. One of the Charles I found him dying in infancy and he was linked with descendancy to me.. However I followed this man's brother's Charles and the image on ancestry gave an age at death which was perfect with the baptism.
I am now trying to sort another Charles .. how they transcribe those images is amazing .. I am looking at Charles Stott bpt Rochdale 31/12/1670 son of John. It is written in Latin .. I think it says Littleborough. The trees have him as son of John Stott and Mary Shore (Shaw) who married 3/8/1671. I don't think they are his parents, because there is a baptism record for Katherine 16/9/1671 and it has mother Mary Shaw .. I think they got married Aug and then had the baby baptised in Sep but the minister must have thought the baby was born before marriage .. so I think if Charles was theirs and born the previous year it would have been noted.
Problem is that there are 3 marriages of John Stott .. to Mary Wood in 1665, to Mary Taylor in 1668 and to Elizabeth Clegg in 1669 all at Rochdale .. yikes .. so I think all I can do is troll through the children baptised to John Stott and see if there any clues .. but why of why are they written in Latin .. sobs .. Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 26-11-13 at 22:04.
Old 26-11-13, 10:36
tenterfieldjulie

Woowoo looks like a visit to Rochdale is scheduled for next year hopefully...

Part of the UK archives network - Rochdale Local Studies Library

Schedule of Material relating to the Stott Family of Littleborough and to their long-time residence, Bent House

Reference F/STO
Covering dates 1632-1893
Held by Rochdale Local Studies Library

Extent 7 Subfonds
Archival history This Collection was partly funded by a grant of £200 from the Victoria and Albert Museum Purchase Grant Fund.
Collection is stored at the Museum Store.
Creators Stott family of Littleborough

Arrangement - Items marked with an 'A' in brackets are Stott papers and other early documents not connected with the Bent House Estate.
Those marked with a 'B' are Bent House papers from the period when the estate was leased, then owned by the Stott family.
Material designated 'B.C.' belongs to the period when the estate passed by marriage to the Chadwick family (sometimes known as Stott Chadwick).

Contents:
This collection includes deeds, abstracts of Title, marriage settlements, wills, estate records, household management records, legal papers, genealogical papers, family business archives, correspondence and miscellaneous papers.

I noted that there is a genealogical record book - 1633-1853
Old 26-11-13, 10:41
Administrator

Wow.

Old 26-11-13, 14:47

Lovely, lovely stuff, Julie! I've had similar finds in local archives, wonder if it's just peculiar to Lancashire! (I mean, you'd think the stuff would be important enough to be in the county records, not the local.)

OC
Old 26-11-13, 22:05
tenterfieldjulie

Old 29-11-13, 19:09

Jules...when you are in Lancs, could you just pop over to the Lakes District (yes, I know it's Cumbria now) and check out a few attics/lofts for me. I'm sure there must be some old wills and records hidden in some of those old houses because I can't find them anywhere else.
Old 29-11-13, 21:04
tenterfieldjulie

Love to Lib .. I'm sure they are used to wild Colonials rabbiting around there lol