Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 07-11-13, 13:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
My 5 x GGM had 19 children in 25 years. Only two survived to adulthood. She outlived them all and was a widow for 20 odd years. I cannot imagine what her life was like, or how she survived.

OC
I almost asked if she had any grandchildren

*goes for a lie down*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-11-13, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I know what you mean about things hitting you when you do the research in a few days.

My 5 x GGM had 19 children in 25 years. Only two survived to adulthood. She outlived them all and was a widow for 20 odd years. I cannot imagine what her life was like, or how she survived.

OC
Poor woman. I need to have a lie down too. I was going to say there is no reason why she couldn't have grandchildren before her children died.

I actually took a break from my research at one point. I kept coming across a lot of babies that were born and died then I found the death of my great aunt on FreeBDM. I 'knew' she was dead but it really upset me and I put it all away for a time.
Old 08-11-13, 08:38

On the other hand, I sometimes wish I could say to my ancestors, "Don't worry, it's going to be ok, you may be a widow in 1861 with 5 children but you are going to marry again in a couple of years and live to a good old age".

OC
Old 08-11-13, 10:59

I've wanted to say a lot of things to my ancestors, or OH's, but have never thought to reassure them they would be ok. I figure by now they have worked it out. lol
Old 11-11-13, 14:57

I've got a few lines that died out. In my own generation, my brother died childless and my three male cousins have no children, so our paternal surname will die out. I've produced 2 boys but my female cousin has gone one better and had 3 children, though of course all of this generation have surnames from their fathers, not our paternal line. Mind you, our surname was Gray so its not that exotic!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 11-11-13, 17:00

My maiden name in our line has died out. My grandparents had five children, two sons dad and his brother. I have a sister and uncle had five, four girls and a son who died as an infant.

My hubby's line has gone too after him. His dad was one of six. Three girls and three boys. Eldest son married but had no children, youngest never married and father in law just my OH. We have two daughters. My mother in law thought we should try for a son after two girls but I told her I'm not a brood mare. She didn't do a lot to increase the family line so why should I.
Old 13-11-13, 05:41

My maiden name will die out when my Dad dies too. There are only females having children so the line will continue but not the name.
Old 13-11-13, 07:21

Thanks to my nephew, who has three sons, my maiden name won't die out. My other nephew and his wife have a little girl, but they are expecting another baby next year, so there might well be another boy.

A relief as on my Mum's side a lot of the lovely names have died out.